How competitive are Au.D programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoloyolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in Au.D but I'm wondering how competitive are Au.D programs comparing to pharmacy, optometry, dentistry ect. For example, if I apply to 5 schools, on average how many will I get accepted into with average stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i can't predict the # of acceptances you would get, but i can tell you that based on the # of AuD programs out there compared to the other disciplines you mentioned, and the # of applicants, AuD is probably much less competitive.

Really depends on the top 3
1. Your major - were you a com sci major or something more intense like pre-med?
- Lots of schools like students with strong science backgrounds such as pre-med

2. Your GPA - you could have a pre-med degree but if you GPA is 2.9 you probably will have a tough time making the first cut. If you are straight com sci like most then you are a needle in a stack of needles and you will need at least a 3.5 usually to be picked first round at a lot of schools

3. Your letters of rec
- Good letters sell you and make you stand out from the crowd. If you have good letters and good experience then you will stand out.

Compared to medical school, optometry (one of the worst! I found that out first hand!), vet school, and PT school, I'd say competitiveness for audiology programs is pretty low if you are willing to go out of state. Now if you live in a state like Ohio you have a better shot since Ohio has tons of AuD. programs. States like North Carolina, not so much. So yes it is easier than a lot of other majors to get into a school, but it's still not just handing your diploma over and saying "teach me".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you a lot guys! I'm majoring in biology...Is a 3.3 - 3.5 GPA good enough for Au.D programs if I'm majoring in bio?

With good letters of rec and a good GRE score (1000+) you should have an excellent chance of being a first round pic at most state schools.

I would be sure in your personal statement to sell yourself on why being a Bio major makes you a better candidate over a com sci student, and I'd also mention your GPA is lower due to the more difficult hard science courses you have had to take.

Most schools get this and if you explain why your GPA is not a 4.0 they will understand when they see the courses you take. Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry are killers on the GPA! I do not miss those days!

I think my two pharmacology courses in nursing school were easier than any of my organic chem courses.

Do admissions committees really expect a 4.0 from a Comm. Sci student? I don't know about other programs, but I would be very surprised if one of my fellow students had a 4.0. Our required classes really just aren't that easy. I think we lost 10 or so students out of the program after the first semester due to failing grades... and this was after having to apply to the major with a freshmen/sophomore GPA of at least 3.5.

Do admissions committees really expect a 4.0 from a Comm. Sci student? I don't know about other programs, but I would be very surprised if one of my fellow students had a 4.0. Our required classes really just aren't that easy. I think we lost 10 or so students out of the program after the first semester due to failing grades... and this was after having to apply to the major with a freshmen/sophomore GPA of at least 3.5.

Wow! Did you lose 10 students in your undergraduate program in Comm. or are you referring to an AuD program?

We lost ten from the undergrad program... we don't have an AuD program in my whole state!

Well, maybe it is good you lost 10 students from the program. Sounds like a program with high standards.

I would say that an undergraduate program in biology is comparable in difficulty to the coursework component of the AuD graduate degree or perhaps harder. An undergraduate degree in chemistry (coursework component) is harder than the AuD (quantum mechanics, anyone?) However, the clinical component of the AuD degree requires an entirely different set of of skills -- fast thinking skills and people skills coupled with an understanding of the science. So a person who is a whiz at organic chemistry won't automatically have the right skills to be an audiologist, though they certainly could.