How competitive are the top pathology residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dro133

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before -- I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to my specific question. I'm an MS1 at a mid-tier US MD school. I'm interested in pathology because it seems like a very cerebral and scientific field, which I think would be a good fit for me. I'm very interested in an academic career with the bulk of my time spent doing research (although I'm not MD/PhD), which is why I am interested in top-tier academic programs such as Stanford and UCSF. I'm currently scoring around the middle of my class on exams (although we're graded pass/fail), which has me worried that I might not do well enough on Step 1 to have a shot at these schools. Are very good scores, such as 240, enough to get a look from the top-tier pathology residencies, or does one need a great score such as 250+ to have a chance? If someone has a score closer to the 240 range, can a solid publication record and strong LOR's make up for it?

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering this too, especially with the amount of IMGs matching pathology.

Good letters and research can help. Also, interest in the field and some background work like rotations will boost your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a competitive field. Even name places go unfilled. Path residencies are a "buyers market". Path jobs are not.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

It would be folly to assume that the issues the match are impacting the top places. There may be a fellowship or two where they struggle, but residents spots are tough to land.

Thank you for the replies. Follow-up question: Does going to a "top-tier" residency improve one's job prospects?

Follow-up question: Does going to a "top-tier" residency improve one's job prospects?

I posted on this previously and included what many others have said.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-01-25T05-32-10.066Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2016-01-25T05-38-42.952Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2016-01-25T05-39-36.175Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2016-01-25T05-42-29.301Z.png

If this isn't enough, there was a thread on this ten years ago

Question for Fellows/senior residents: big name vs. small name -- and finding a job.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before -- I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to my specific question. I'm an MS1 at a mid-tier US MD school. I'm interested in pathology because it seems like a very cerebral and scientific field, which I think would be a good fit for me. I'm very interested in an academic career with the bulk of my time spent doing research (although I'm not MD/PhD), which is why I am interested in top-tier academic programs such as Stanford and UCSF. I'm currently scoring around the middle of my class on exams (although we're graded pass/fail), which has me worried that I might not do well enough on Step 1 to have a shot at these schools. Are very good scores, such as 240, enough to get a look from the top-tier pathology residencies, or does one need a great score such as 250+ to have a chance? If someone has a score closer to the 240 range, can a solid publication record and strong LOR's make up for it?

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

A Step 1 score of 250+ will get you an interview pretty much anywhere. At 240+ you start to blend in with a bunch of other high-achievers, with a good chance of getting an interview as long as you have good letters/CV and haven't completely bombed a rotation. That being said, at my former (and top tier) institution there was no formal step 1 cutoff, and we had a fairly broad range of Step 1 scores (skewed to the 240+ area to be sure, but we had a few below that). Things that helped an application include publications (if you can get into Nature/NEJM/JAMA as a med student, that would probably get you an interview anywhere) and research activities. Personal letters can make a difference (both on the good and bad side though, so be careful) as can LOR from well-known pathologists. An externship can be a great way to get a harder look from an institution, but it also can sink you if have problems during the externship (especially behavioral or inter-personal skills).

As to whether top tier places help with jobs -- contrary to what others say on this forum, I would say that it does -- at least in my experience. A couple of years down the road no one cares in particular where you trained at, but for the first job it can be useful. More importantly though is the network that residency brings you (as alluded to by others). I got my job through my alumni network and I am trying to hire someone else from my former training program now, so those connections matter a great deal.

Reactions: 1 user
A Step 1 score of 250+ will get you an interview pretty much anywhere. At 240+ you start to blend in with a bunch of other high-achievers, with a good chance of getting an interview as long as you have good letters/CV and haven't completely bombed a rotation. That being said, at my former (and top tier) institution there was no formal step 1 cutoff, and we had a fairly broad range of Step 1 scores (skewed to the 240+ area to be sure, but we had a few below that). Things that helped an application include publications (if you can get into Nature/NEJM/JAMA as a med student, that would probably get you an interview anywhere) and research activities. Personal letters can make a difference (both on the good and bad side though, so be careful) as can LOR from well-known pathologists. An externship can be a great way to get a harder look from an institution, but it also can sink you if have problems during the externship (especially behavioral or inter-personal skills).

As to whether top tier places help with jobs -- contrary to what others say on this forum, I would say that it does -- at least in my experience. A couple of years down the road no one cares in particular where you trained at, but for the first job it can be useful. More importantly though is the network that residency brings you (as alluded to by others). I got my job through my alumni network and I am trying to hire someone else from my former training program now, so those connections matter a great deal.

This is great information, thank you!