How competitive is cards from a very low-tier uni program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasingMaria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread in 2007 about matching from a less competitive program but that makes it 7 years old. I matched into an IM program at a university thats pretty much a university by name only (not too much research going on, only ID, Endo, Nephro, Pulm fellowships (they say cards is coming but not sure how believable that is).

So the question is, now that the cuts have set in and cards is not as red hot, is it possible for a US-IMG doing IM at a low tier university to match cards somewhere half decent (if at all). I understand connections play a huge part but can it be done with connections?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand its a topic that is hard to address, afterall most of you are not program directors. But you at least must know something that I don't know as a PGY-1. Please any guidance-just think of me as you 3 years ago (6 if you're almost done your cards fellowships) what would you do differently to your CV to make it stronger. If you're a current fellow (especially an IMG like me) what was it that got you in?

I am applying this year.
I think your question has been answered in multiple threads.
1. Your best chance of matching in cardiology is where you are residency. If you do very well in residency, you could guarantee yourself a fellowship at where u are
2. If you targeting other programs....there are multiple factors:
Research/publications that you can talk about during interviews
Away electives to programs you are interested in...LOR and networking
Strong LORS from your program (director), and your cards faculty . The more known your letter writer...the better.

Most of these things you can work on during residency