how competitive is neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultane123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm really leaning toward a career in neurology and have heard mixed things. some say it's ultra-hard to land, others say it goes unfilled each year. i dont know what to believe since i'm new to the process? thoughts?
u.

Members don't see this ad.

ultane123 said:
i'm really leaning toward a career in neurology and have heard mixed things. some say it's ultra-hard to land, others say it goes unfilled each year. i dont know what to believe since i'm new to the process? thoughts?
u.

If you have a pulse and a medical degree you can match in neurology. What's more difficult is matching into a "top" program. (see multiple other postings for ad nauseum discussions of which are "top programs."

I have no idea where the myth that Neuro is really really competitive came from. I think there are actually very few people who are legitimately interested in Neurology, so it's not competetive. Ditto what the other guy said.

Members don't see this ad :)
neurologist said:
If you have a pulse and a medical degree you can match in neurology. What's more difficult is matching into a "top" program. (see multiple other postings for ad nauseum discussions of which are "top programs."
OK...I have a pulse (a bit tachy) and a medical degree (from Caribbean school) BUT how about the fine print? Namely, barely passing Step 1 and multiple failures on Step 2 CK :oops: ...NOW, does that change your answer? Neuro was always my 1st choice but I don't know if it's realistic anymore. Any insight? Thanks.

Nerdoscience said:
I have no idea where the myth that Neuro is really really competitive came from. I think there are actually very few people who are legitimately interested in Neurology, so it's not competetive. Ditto what the other guy said.
Relatively few interested in the specialty may be true, although I hear rumors of increasing popularity...but there are likewise relatively few positions for the few that are interested. For example, last yr's match had 700 rank lists for only 538 positions offered.

BUT how about the fine print? Namely, barely passing Step 1 and multiple failures on Step 2 CK ...NOW, does that change your answer? Neuro was always my 1st choice but I don't know if it's realistic anymore. Any insight? Thanks.

That's a real problem. If you can't pass steps II and III, you'll never be allowed to practice medicine because you can't get a license. I'm not trying to be mean, but maybe you should consider other options...outside of medicine.

goldengate said:
OK...I have a pulse (a bit tachy) and a medical degree (from Caribbean school) BUT how about the fine print? Namely, barely passing Step 1 and multiple failures on Step 2 CK :oops: ...NOW, does that change your answer? Neuro was always my 1st choice but I don't know if it's realistic anymore. Any insight? Thanks.

So you won't match at Mayo or Hopkins. You will likely match at a bottom tier program. But it is still possible.

So, who am I to listen to? Forget about trying to pass Step 2 and quit the medical profession, according to PainDr, or pass Step 2 ASAP, get ECFMG certified, and apply to bottom-tier programs, according to bustbones26?

goldengate said:
So, who am I to listen to? Forget about trying to pass Step 2 and quit the medical profession, according to PainDr, or pass Step 2 ASAP, get ECFMG certified, and apply to bottom-tier programs, according to bustbones26?

Listen to yourself! I have yet to see a person post here who is a program director that would tell you exactly where you stand, what we all say is just our honest opinion. I myself would not discourage you, but of course, you do have to face the facts that being an FMG who has failed step II, well, while it will not make you perhaps a marketable candidate, its not a reason to give up. If you want neuro, apply and try, if nobody takes you, then you at least tried.

goldengate said:

I am obviously not a program director but here are my 2 cents.

Focus on one problem at a time....

PASS STEP 2 before thinking about applying to anything... Having said that, i am not saying don't register in ERAS and NRMP... however, before you send out any applications on ERAS you must pass Step 2. When programs look at your app and see you passed step 1 and failed step 2 they will probably not give you an interview. Therefore, pass step 2. If you pass before November, it might still not be too late to apply to some places and get an interview (You'd have to call them and tell them you passed and beg for an interview). If you pass after November, you can participate in the scramble and the near-impossible-post-scramble, otherwise... try the year after.

I am not the type to discourage anyone from practicing medicine... good luck.

Thank you guys for the above words of advice...I am scheduled to take the exam this month, and my next move will depend on the results. Of course, the bottom line at this point is just to pass, as that's the only missing piece to my getting ECFMG certified. Assuming I pass, I am hoping I still have a realistic shot at those bottom tier programs. Another thing to consider is I will need them to guarantee PGY1 b/c I don't think I will ever match in a Prelim IM program. I will keep you all posted, hopefully w/ good news :luck:

Here's my follow-up to this thread from awhile back...I got my Step 2 CK score this week and it was a 221/90... which would be good if it was my 1st attempt, but it was my 4th. That plus the 182/75 on Step 1 and being a USIMG...I wonder if I'm still competitive for neurology. Any suggestions as far as bottom-tier programs? It would be ideal if they guarantee PGY1 b/c I don't plan on applying to prelims.

How good is your resume? Do you have any research/publications/externships in neuro? the numbers and attempts on your boards will always be a problem when there is so much competition out there. However now that you got step 2 out of the way, you got to focus on bulking up your resume. Stay focused on it and do whatever you can in the field. Also, think about doing step 3. Proove to the programs that you can take a test and pass it. Its a big concern for programs because even if the candidate is a nice guy and can be a great resident, if you can't pass the neuro boards within a certain time frame.. they can be shut down. Hope this helps, its stuff I've learned the hard way.

How good is your resume? Do you have any research/publications/externships in neuro? the numbers and attempts on your boards will always be a problem when there is so much competition out there. However now that you got step 2 out of the way, you got to focus on bulking up your resume. Stay focused on it and do whatever you can in the field. Also, think about doing step 3. Proove to the programs that you can take a test and pass it.
Thanks so much for your input! Resume-wise I am relatively unexperienced, as far as research and publications. The only good thing is that I did do all my clinical years in the U.S. and did my neurology clerkship at UCI where I got a good LOR. There's no question about my passion for the specialty, but I suppose that can only take me so far. I am determined to start residency in '07 which means applying NOW, so a little too late to develop my CV. I am considering taking Step 3, but again, probably not in time to make a difference. You do say "so much competition out there"...so it is true that Neuro is competitive, more so than Psych for example. That's why I am considering alternatives.

You do say "so much competition out there"...so it is true that Neuro is competitive, more so than Psych for example. That's why I am considering alternatives.

It's tough to say which field is more competitive. I guess it all depends on amount of applications and amount of spots. But just apply and don't worry about competition. In all fields, there's a fierce competition when it comes to "top" programs. So I guess there is competition in Neurology, but whatever just apply!

As for research. It don't matter a lick! Well that's not true it probably helps but I don't think it hurts unless it's a program that ONLY does research (which I think is rare).

Good Luck.

can someone tell me which progrmas are considered not competetive in the Northeast areas?
thanks