shigaT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2001
NY
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I've very recently become interested in opth - mostly due to the combination of med/surgery and of course, the lifestyle. Anyone know what ballpark step 1 scores and other stats are needed to be competitive in the opth. match?

thanks, shiga

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's fairly competitive. I think there are around 900 applicants for the match with about 600 spots nation wide. The average USMLE scores for matched candidates was 224 or 226. There are more applicants this year I've heard.

At Iowa, they've already received 500 applications; however, it's the same 500 applying to the same programs too. :)

Good luck.

About the Ads

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 1999
Big D
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Do you know of any good websites that give information about how to become a ophthalmologist, subspecialty info, stats you need to match, etc... ? (Something like Medschool.com used to have.)

Thanks!

Raheem

15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Tell me what you think:
I am a third-year medical student at Harvard, who only scored a 220 on her boards. Our school gives no grades whatsoever for first- and second-year courses and our dean's letters typically include only 1-2 sentences about these 2 years.

I don't have my heart set on Mass Eye & Ear, Hopkins, Iowa or any top-ten program. I just want to be able to practice the profession I like.

So far, I've gotten excellent feedback [though no grades yet] on my rotations. Plus, I've decided to do a year of research (provided I get funded).

* Should I forget about ophtho?

* Can I expect to get into a respectable program?

* How heavily might factors other than scores weigh?

Thanks...

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Raheem
Tell me what you think:
I am a third-year medical student at Harvard, who only scored a 220 on her boards. Our school gives no grades whatsoever for first- and second-year courses and our dean's letters typically include only 1-2 sentences about these 2 years.

I don't have my heart set on Mass Eye & Ear, Hopkins, Iowa or any top-ten program. I just want to be able to practice the profession I like.

So far, I've gotten excellent feedback [though no grades yet] on my rotations. Plus, I've decided to do a year of research (provided I get funded).

* Should I forget about ophtho?

* Can I expect to get into a respectable program?

* How heavily might factors other than scores weigh?

Thanks...

I think you'll do great in the match. You're from Harvard with good board scores. Average of matched candidates in the past have ranged in the 220s. Make sure you get experience with clinical ophthalmology at the MEEI. You'll be very competitive if you get good letters of recommendations.

Good luck!

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads