How competitive was the match this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForMD21

Reaction score
I'm a current MS3
Step 1: 208-212 (wouldn't say this to a PD but got pretty sick that day- test scores were in the 230s)
Mainly all HP.
Hoping to do much better on Step 2. But I'm worried about not matching at all. Anyone have any insight into this match this year/do I have a shot with my current scores?

Members don't see this ad.

DR is competitive. Its doable, but its competitive.
60% of USMDs with 200-209 match and 80% of USMDs with a 210-219 match.

DR is competitive. Its doable, but its competitive.
60% of USMDs with 200-209 match and 80% of USMDs with a 210-219 match.

Are you changing it to US Senior? If you do it changes to 78% and 87% for 200-209 and 210-219 respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was my understanding that a score in the range of 208-212 was significantly low for rads, 2018 averages for - IR average step 1 was 243 and DR was 240 both significantly above a 212

Reactions: 1 users
According to the charting outcomes from 2018 (referenced above) for US Seniors (totaling 20) the match rate was ~60% (as noted above) but those who matched likely had a lot of other stuff on their application to make up for their lower Step scores. If you filter for research experiences specifically (as an example), all of them had at least 3 research experiences; in order to filter for all 20 US seniors who matched DR with scores 200-209 you have to filter for 11-15 research experiences.

According to the charting outcomes from 2018 (referenced above) for US Seniors (totaling 20) the match rate was ~60% (as noted above) but those who matched likely had a lot of other stuff on their application to make up for their lower Step scores. If you filter for research experiences specifically (as an example), all of them had at least 3 research experiences; in order to filter for all 20 US seniors who matched DR with scores 200-209 you have to filter for 11-15 research experiences.

Totally understand that. I'm sure they also improved on their step score, did well in third year etc. I know what I have to do to be somewhat more competitive. I was wondering if there was a way to tell how competitive it was this year compared to others? I know that the last few years have been competitive but just around 5 years ago it dipped down.

Totally understand that. I'm sure they also improved on their step score, did well in third year etc. I know what I have to do to be somewhat more competitive. I was wondering if there was a way to tell how competitive it was this year compared to others? I know that the last few years have been competitive but just around 5 years ago it dipped down.

The preliminary data is out for all residencies (below) but it doesn't show you enough to get a solid idea of how competitive it really was this year. Not sure when the more detailed report comes out.

The preliminary data is out for all residencies (below) but it doesn't show you enough to get a solid idea of how competitive it really was this year. Not sure when the more detailed report comes out.

Appreciate it! Do you think if I aim for a 240+ on step 2 and target low-tier academics and community spots I have a shot? I know that there was around 20ish unfilled spots this year, so that must mean some programs didn't fully match? Or should I not even consider applying since it's a toss up?

Appreciate it! Do you think if I aim for a 240+ on step 2 and target low-tier academics and community spots I have a shot? I know that there was around 20ish unfilled spots this year, so that must mean some programs didn't fully match? Or should I not even consider applying since it's a toss up?

I think you should apply but have a backup specialty like IM

Yeah unfortunately that data isn't very reliable because it doesn't factor in people who applied ortho with rads as backup for example. If that person matched ortho, he would not be included in the matched category for rads but would be in the applicants category, making it seem like more people applied rads and didn't match than was actually the case. Anyway the actual charting outcomes normally come out in July, unless delayed by COVID. We won't really know until then.

OP you're probably aware that rads is heavily board-centered because of the cerebral nature of the field. I still say apply but try to kill step 2. I wouldn't rely on open spots int he SOAP though. My understanding is programs would rather go unfilled and pick up unmatched surgical sub applicants with killer scores in the SOAP than rank people they don't want. That's who those spots usually go to.

Reactions: 2 users
You need a backup plan. You should be dual applying to a less competitive specialty as well.

You need a backup plan. You should be dual applying to a less competitive specialty as well.

I am definitely going to dual apply. I was just wondering if it's a waste of time to apply rads with my stats?

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game ... that’s why I’m applying with less than ideal stats. You will never know unless you try.

Reactions: 1 users
Doable, but I know for a fact that some programs use 220 as a cut off.

The only thing you have to lose is your $$$ and time. ERAS apps are not cheap, and going to an interview does get your foot in the door but in no way guarantees you will even be ranked to match. However, if you don’t shoot, you will never score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Bruh I applied with low 2 teens and high 230s CK. US MD. Definitely doable but you won't get a top tier program but hey. A Radiologist is a Radiologist. PM if any questions. Apply super broadly and be open to everything!

Reactions: 5 users