How competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med4ever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi how competitive is urology compared to lets say ortho or rads?

Also typically what scores on the boards are typically average?

Members don't see this ad.

Averages are not reported for Urology. They have their own matching program and statistics for it can be found at this link. Last year 30% of U.S. seniors that applied for urology did not match; the unmatched percentage for radiology and orthopedics U.S. senior applicants was approximatley 7 and 15% respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my best Chandler Bing voice...

"Can it get ANY more difficult???"

I actually think 80% matching is encouraging, but maybe I'm an eternal optimist! You have to remember some of the outlyers that apply without really adequate qualifications or even those who went on less interviews than they probably should have, and those who decided late to enter the match, with or without the former conditions also being true.

Spang

Ahhh...the voice of hope and reason!

Hey, is it too late to submit the ERAS application for urology? Thanks

how many of you who matched did some sort of urology research as a med student? How necessary would you say that is?

Kinda want to know the answer.

tigerlily23 said:
Kinda want to know the answer.

I did some basic science research in renal cell and presented at a local meeting and also some case reports. I think it is important, but not critical, in that it shows your interest and gives you something to talk about in the interview. I also learned an awful lot, by the way, in the process!

I think overall, high Step 1 or Step 2 scores get you in the door, the interview and your letters of rec seal the deal. AOA and class rank help also of course. I actually saw more than one "score sheet" type thing with grades, AOA, research, etc, on it, so I know there is at least some objective evaluation in the interview process. All that being said, the letters and the interview are key, IMO.

spang

Keep in mind that many unqualified applicants are "screened out" during a conversation with the urology chair at their school. Urology chairs will usually write a letter of rec. for an applicant; it the applicant's "numbers" aren't up to par - it will be suggested that they not apply. Most of the applicants that submit ROLs are quite qualified.

That being said, I'm an optimist. ~8/10 matching US seniors is even better than the 3/5 I needed at my med school. I'm sure I won't be one of the 20%. Good luck to all those applying.

70% or 80% is pretty good odds, you get a lot worse odds with other things in life.
Research is always nice to have on your cv, but there are people who get in with no research at all.
You have to have something on your cv that stands out. If you don't have any research, you should have high scores. If you don't have high scores, you should have excellent letters of recommendation. Ideally, you have a little bit of everything, so that if they are evaluating you with a point system, you have at least a point in every category, but you don't need to be the "complete" package, because few people really are.