How Competitive?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by lookleft, Jul 26, 2006.

1. lookleft

lookleft Member

I recently got my step 1 scores. My stats are 213, top 15% at an average medical school. Assuming I do well in my third year and get strong LOR, do I still have a decent shot at Rad. I know my board scores are pretty low for Rads, but can my class ranking make up for it. Its a little frustrating to work my ass off the last two years to get a good ranking and then have one test possibly wash away all that hard work away. Any feedback would be appreicated

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ljl1982

ljl1982 ljl1982

Resident [Any Field]
    There are several posts similar to yours, plus a very informative post (FAQ i believe) in the Radiology section of SDN.

Nothing is guaranteed for matching into any specialty with regards to Step 1 scores, but my dean told me that a step 1 score 1 s.d. above the mean (i believe that's a 237) would be competitive for radiology.

My advice would be to obviously do well in clerkships, get strong letters, and consider doing research/finding contacts in radiology at your school.
    Also prepare for Step 2 and plan to take it early and do well.
    A meeting with your dean or program director at your med school might be helpful as well (maybe after you do a couple of clerkships, to show that you have a strong clinical knowledge base). But concentrate first on doing well in your clerkships, and keep an open mind about all specialties.