How Competitive?

Started by lookleft
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lookleft

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got my step 1 scores. My stats are 213, top 15% at an average medical school. Assuming I do well in my third year and get strong LOR, do I still have a decent shot at Rad. I know my board scores are pretty low for Rads, but can my class ranking make up for it. Its a little frustrating to work my ass off the last two years to get a good ranking and then have one test possibly wash away all that hard work away. Any feedback would be appreicated
 
There are several posts similar to yours, plus a very informative post (FAQ i believe) in the Radiology section of SDN.

Nothing is guaranteed for matching into any specialty with regards to Step 1 scores, but my dean told me that a step 1 score 1 s.d. above the mean (i believe that's a 237) would be competitive for radiology.

My advice would be to obviously do well in clerkships, get strong letters, and consider doing research/finding contacts in radiology at your school.
Also prepare for Step 2 and plan to take it early and do well.
A meeting with your dean or program director at your med school might be helpful as well (maybe after you do a couple of clerkships, to show that you have a strong clinical knowledge base). But concentrate first on doing well in your clerkships, and keep an open mind about all specialties.




lookleft said:
I recently got my step 1 scores. My stats are 213, top 15% at an average medical school. Assuming I do well in my third year and get strong LOR, do I still have a decent shot at Rad. I know my board scores are pretty low for Rads, but can my class ranking make up for it. Its a little frustrating to work my ass off the last two years to get a good ranking and then have one test possibly wash away all that hard work away. Any feedback would be appreicated