how competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltamed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok lets say you really want a rads residency, but you don't want to move out of the state for family reasons. Is it stupid to pursue rads if your state (CO) only has 1 program?

I know CO doesnt have the highest-ranked program so if I ace the boards, AOA and get great LORs will I have a good chance or not...

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest getting to know residents in that program and find out whats involved in getting a residency position.Doing electives?research in the dept?spending time with well placed attendings who are influential in selecting residents? Of course AOA and great board scores may well do the trick but there are personality and other factors which can figure strongly in the process.If there is only one program in Colorado my guess is it will be in very high demand regardless of its rank.Location,location,location!

...so even if that is really where you want to be, apply to other programs... unless you are willing to sacrifice being in the specialty you want in order to stay in that location.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am willing to sacrifice my specialty to keep my kids near their extended family. I guess I'll just pick a backup specialty (or two) and hope for the best.

Just make sure you will be satisfied with the backup plan. I would hate to spend a decade training to get in a field I had no passion for. Not that you are....take it from someone embarking on a second career...work should be so fun that it doesn't seem like work. Wishing you the best.