How complicated/involved is the math on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've taken all my math-y prerequisites, such as the physics and chemistry series, as well as statistics! My exams for those classes involved mostly long-winded and multistep problems. For example, the exam would consist of five problems, but we would be given an hour or two hours to complete those problems. The challenge was in connecting all of the concepts and relating all the formulas logically into one coherent sequence.

So I'm wondering, are the MCAT math-containing sections, pretty simple? Like, do the questions expect you to just do one or two calculations maximum per question? What was your experience with the calculations-side of things for the MCAT?

Thanks!!! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Do practice questions, that's the best way to get an idea of the difficulty level. The physics questions are probably the only ones that have any real math. They are not trying to test you on your math at all, so it's generally pretty basic level.

Reactions: 1 users
The simplest answer is 95% of it isn’t. You should be able to get by with ratios, single digit multiplication/fractions, whole number addition/subtraction, and generous rounding.

I think I had a single “math” question on my MCAT, but it was just a basic long division that took 10 seconds to write out. This is not a of math skills, it’s a test of applications.

Reactions: 1 users
Do practice questions, that's the best way to get an idea of the difficulty level. The physics questions are probably the only ones that have any real math. They are not trying to test you on your math at all, so it's generally pretty basic level.

The simplest answer is 95% of it isn’t. You should be able to get by with ratios, single digit multiplication/fractions, whole number addition/subtraction, and generous rounding.

I think I had a single “math” question on my MCAT, but it was just a basic long division that took 10 seconds to write out. This is not a of math skills, it’s a test of applications.

Yay! That makes me happy. Thx for the info. :)
It sounds like the MCAT centers around conceptual thinking more, which is my cup of tea. I'm not taking it for another year, but this is good to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I've taken all my math-y prerequisites, such as the physics and chemistry series, as well as statistics! My exams for those classes involved mostly long-winded and multistep problems. For example, the exam would consist of five problems, but we would be given an hour or two hours to complete those problems. The challenge was in connecting all of the concepts and relating all the formulas logically into one coherent sequence.

So I'm wondering, are the MCAT math-containing sections, pretty simple? Like, do the questions expect you to just do one or two calculations maximum per question? What was your experience with the calculations-side of things for the MCAT?

Thanks!!! <3
Get very good at doing mental math and rough estimates. You may have something where you have to multiply a decimal like 9.8 times 7. You'll want to round decimals to the nearest whole answer and look for an answer that makes since. In that case you'll make 9.8 a 10 and look for the answer that's a little less than 70.

Reactions: 2 users
The most complicated math you'll see is tough fractions and decimals. Being good with arithmetic is a boon on the MCAT. You also might need to do basic algebra where you need to slightly manipulate formulas to solve a problem. But this is very rare.

Reactions: 1 user