How could I get a job as a dental assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apply to dental schools next year and I was hoping to somehow get hired on part-time as a local dentist's "dental assistant."
My parents are friends with one of the local dentists and I was wondering what the best approach would be for me to take as to getting hired on. I was *hoping* I could just walk in, tell the dentist that I am applying to dental school next year and was wanting to shadow him or her, ...and then they miraculously say "Hey, would you like to come in and work as my dental assistant part-time?" :xf:

So...has anyone ever been in my particular *wishful* situation?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a huge burdon to train someone knowing they're going to walk out the door in a few months. Most probably wouldn't pay you but you might be able to volunteer or shadow. If you were to get paid, you'd probably be doing something like answer phones or sterilize instruments that doesn't take training and you'd still be useful.

dental assisting is not like working at a fast food joint

ask the dentist if you can shadow

Members don't see this ad :)
I apply to dental schools next year and I was hoping to somehow get hired on part-time as a local dentist's "dental assistant."
My parents are friends with one of the local dentists and I was wondering what the best approach would be for me to take as to getting hired on. I was *hoping* I could just walk in, tell the dentist that I am applying to dental school next year and was wanting to shadow him or her, ...and then they miraculously say "Hey, would you like to come in and work as my dental assistant part-time?" :xf:

When I began my initial interest in health professions I began by shadowing a Physical Therapist that my mom knew. I spent time with them for a couple of weeks and acted like a mature and professional student (that I am) and they then inquired in my interest to work as a tech, the feeling was mutual. I then went onto work the next 3 summers with the PT and gain valuable experience as a health care provider. Now it was not dental assisting, but you can see where I am going with this. As long as you are legit and they can fill a need with you, why not. Don't be put off though if they cannot take you due to lack of need though. The dentist could always refer you to a colleague though. :thumbup:

a lot of states required you to be certified (9 mos to get certified) and if not required, its usually prefered. the only people i know who got to assist as predents just shadowed to a point where the dentist let them VOLUNTEER assist... usually a previous family friedn or something
and of course in a state where it is not required to be certified

I work as a surgical assistant in an oral surgery office. It's true alot of people won't want to hire you b/c of short term. But it's a fairly short term job for a lot of assistants anyway. A lot of dentists want to help pre-dents because they were there once too. It's not easy to get the job though. You have to know people basically (just like everything else in life). Build up some experience by volunteering at a free clinic or something first. Then you'll have something on a resume to show them you aren't an idiot that's just jumping into something randomly. Also don't expect much at first. My first month or so was just cleaning instruments and recovering patients. Later I moved on to 1rst and 2nd assisting. It is great experience though and with a 3.4 and 22 on the DAT I think the work experience had alot to do with me getting into a couple of dental schools. Just go for it even if the dentist you know doesn't need anyone they may be able to put you in contact with someone who does. Family friends and your personal dentist are always good choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me really answer your question though from my point of view. The "how" is just putting yourself out there. Let them know you are willing to volunteer at first or something like that just to show them you're committed. I think a lot of people don't realize that dental assisting at a single office isn't a long term job for many assistants. We are a very respected office in our region of the state that has an extremely good reputation and even since i showed up (6 months ago) we've had 2 people come and go.

Get in communication with your local public health department/clinic and let them know you career goals, etc...I'm sure they'd be glad to have you there, you'd be an asset- Your education at this point makes you a cultivated individual.

I just landed a dental assistant position. It was kind of strange the way I did it. I looked on craig's list for dental assistants and lab tech positions. When I found one I sent them my resume with a cover letter explaining that I just got accepted to dental school and will be starting in August. I also said in the cover letter that I was willing to work for free for the first 2 weeks to get up to speed.

After a week of this one dentist called me a scheduled an interview, I started on Monday.

I got in by volunteering first at the office, they liked me so much that they offered me a job and trained me. I have been an assistant for over 6 years and it all started with 40 hours of volunteer work. My advise, volunteer your services for free, preferably at a dental clinic of some sort, show that you are a valuable employee. Then let them know you are looking for a job and ask them to contact you if any positions open up. Personally I think that a clinic will be more promising than a high end office, because in clinics they are willing to train people that don't know much about dentistry. Also clinics have a VERY high turn over rate, so chances of a Job opening are much greater at a clinic. I have worked in several high end offices and there is NO WAY they would ever employ someone that didn't have training and at least 2-3 years min experience. TRY volunteering at the clinics, it worked for me!!

I decided late in the game last year that I wanted to apply to dental school. I called up a dental office and just asked to shadow (as it was required by my state school). After sending in my resume they invited me in to talk about it. I had no idea they were interviewing me for a job.... haha. I was hired on as a sterile tech so I got to shadow and I got paid for it. I've been there for 6 months and I'm still considered a sterile tech but I'm also doing some assisting with fillings, extractions, start rcts, etc and I've gotten a bit of a raise. The doctor was very comfortable writing me an excellent letter of recommendation and I feel that I've learned more than I ever could just shadowing.