How Dental School Works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the article I bumped into today. It did answer many of my questions even though I thought I didn't have any to ask :) . The title of this threat explains what the article is about. Hopefully, many of you, especially those not certain about dentistry as a career, will find this article quite interesting.

http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/archive/HowDentalSchoolWorksNS.html

Members don't see this ad.

DDS2BE said:
Here is a link to the article I bumped into today. It did answer many of my questions even though I thought I didn't have any to ask :) . The title of this threat explains what the article is about. Hopefully, many of you, especially those not certain about dentistry as a career, will find this article quite interesting.

Thanks a lot! This is a good link. I'm showing it to my girlfriend.

Very informative. You were right about the article answering questions you didn't know to ask. I'm stoked, I enjoy a challenge. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
He claims that most dental students don't graduate on time - is this true? I was under the impression that the vast majority do graduate on time. Do they just get the requirements done a couple weeks later or what? Also, with the exception of NYU, I've heard that generally only 1 or 2 students are kicked out per year, not 20 or more as he claimed. Other than that it was a great article - very informative.

good article

that was a good read

USUaggie said:
He claims that most dental students don't graduate on time - is this true? I was under the impression that the vast majority do graduate on time. Do they just get the requirements done a couple weeks later or what? Also, with the exception of NYU, I've heard that generally only 1 or 2 students are kicked out per year, not 20 or more as he claimed. Other than that it was a great article - very informative.

Yeah, I noticed that too.I though that was a little high. Anyone have any actual stats on that? Not that it matters but I'm curious. MAybe some schools just have more resources to ensure their students succeed or a harsher approach of "Live and let die"

DDS2BE said:

Great Article ;) Boy, clinic sounds like boot camp :p

airvent said:
Yeah, I noticed that too.I though that was a little high. Anyone have any actual stats on that? Not that it matters but I'm curious. MAybe some schools just have more resources to ensure their students succeed or a harsher approach of "Live and let die"

you have to keep in mind that when he was in school, it was awhile ago. Things have changed in dental school among others. Schools these days are more apt to keep students because of the big bucks they bring in tuition-wise.

crazy8 said:
you have to keep in mind that when he was in school, it was awhile ago. Things have changed in dental school among others. Schools these days are more apt to keep students because of the big bucks they bring in tuition-wise.
Crazy 8 is right, do you know how much $ a school would lose if they kicked out that many people? They want to keep you in, not weed you out (at least most schools).

that is some crazy numbers for weeding.

usually i hear 1 or 2 .. maybe 3 at the most

rocknightmare said:

also, schools are know to put students who are struggling onthe 5 year plan. again, its all about the dough.

In fact, the answers to 99.9% of the questions in life have to do with money. think about it.

From what my dad told me about clinic...it is boot camp! I think thats why a lot of the dentists/doctors we meet in our lives have thick skin and most have a bit of an ego...they went through so much crap in professional school that nothing really irritates them. Every dentist I have met has the same mentality....take it one day at a time (blah blah blah) and you can accomplish anything. I am not too sure on how many will get "kicked out" or fail out...I am pretty sure nowadays for every 100, maybe 5-10 lose their spot (thats a general estimation) by graduation.

rocknightmare said:

Agree

I was at my dentist yesterday and he told me (exact words) "considering the fact how much money you have to lay on the table [for d-school], they [d-school] should be kissing your a$$. But in reality, you will be kissing their a$$ throughout the school..."

After crapping his dental school approach of teaching and not giving enough experience to practice in a real world dentistry (he is an IUSD graduate) he went into financial burden like paying $3,000 for dental school, Case Western in my case, for the next 10 years after I graduate. To that comment I replied that dentists make between 75 and 120k right of start and it shouldn't be a big problem to pay $3K a month. Then he brought up his salary right after his graduation... $50,000!

Now, how on earth would one pay $3k a month for d-school having 50k a year????????!!!!!!

Then he went into explaining why nowadays, not too many people want to be in density. Simply because insurance companies are paying less and less for dental service and overhead expenses are going up. Go figure.

This whole discussion did sound to me pretty pessimistic. I guess he didn't want another competitor in his woods :D, otherwise, I can't think of anything else :)

I remember reading the article during my application process. I guess at the time I wasn't really sure if I wanted to do dental hygiene vs. dds. I began to tilt towards dental hygiene 'cos I felt that dental school would way over my head (thanks to the article). Anyway, I got admitted to both and decided that I'd rather be a small fish in a big ocean, than a big fish in a small lake. Don't let the article discourage you about Dentistry. It almost got to me. I don't think he exaggerated the number leaving. Most people who leave aren't actually kicked out or do poorly. Sometimes stress and depression really get the best of you. We've lost a couple of classmates already and no one has been kicked out.

It also depends on the school you attend. I feel I've been pretty fortunate because at my school, the professors are out to help us succeed. They really go out of their way for us. Even the administration as well. They are letting us take the board exams after our first year (with some stipulations of course). I'm sure clinic won't be easy, but I'm not stressed out about it.

Good luck to those of you applying. I applied really late and my stats weren't stellar but the important thing is that I'm in and that is what counts. Also, when you get to Dental school, don't isolate yourself from others. There would be moments when you want to give in and the support of classmates can help you over the hump. Try to reach out to people of different ethnicities and backgrounds. You can learn a whole lot. The patients you'll be treating won't all be from your neck of the woods, so it helps to be culturally sensitive.

STEPPING OFF THE SOAPBOX