How did DO students fare in the SF match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decremaster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - I'm a second year student interested in ophthalmology and was wondering how my fellow DO students fared in the SF match this year. Would love any advice or feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak for others, but I matched! So thrilled and fortunate to have gotten a spot at a great program.

I met several other DOs on the trail, about 6 (there may have been others I didn't run into). They seemed like great people and I am sure others had success as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I matched! I feel fortunate as well.

I only met one other DO on the trail, but am unsure as to what came of him. If you have specific questions let us know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on matching guys! Just out of curiosity, what programs did you match at? Did you rotate there? How many MD interviews did you get?

I matched! I feel fortunate as well.

I only met one other DO on the trail, but am unsure as to what came of him. If you have specific questions let us know.
Hey have any advice or tips on what to do during your three years before matching, currently a MS1 very interested in ophtho. Thanks

I would say research as often as you can with a doc at a university with a good Ophtho program if you can swing it. That's what got me in. Obviously Step 1 really matters, so bust your butt there. If while at the Ophtho programs you can network in any way that always helps. Ophtho is a small world.

Away rotations really helped me. My board scores were fine, but for me, my away rotations are what got me the bulk of my interviews. I don't know about DopaDO. I think he had higher board scores than I, so may be different for him. I matched at my number one because i did an away rotation and many of the docs knew my research mentor, and they saw I was a hard worker and was willing to put myself out on the line. Multiple docs at that interview told me they liked that I was a "known commodity".

Last edited:
Congrats on matching guys! Just out of curiosity, what programs did you match at? Did you rotate there? How many MD interviews did you get?
I matched at PennState. I did rotate there in August. I got 4 interviews total. I think DopaDO got more than I did.

I ended up with around 10 interviews. Step 1 is obviously important to get your foot in the door, but it's really the rest of your application that gets the job done. You must have strong letters from important academic faculty. Like Sam alluded to, connections matter. A strong letter from a community ophthalmologist is fine, but it won't have the power of even an average letter from a PD or Chair. I had a couple interviews where I was told I was given an interview bc they knew one of my letter writers. I was very aggressive about making connections and it paid off. Research is very important as well and was discussed at every interview I had, as was my personal statement. Do not over look these parts of your app. Aways are important too. I would urge any borderline applicant to rotate at as many places as possible. You must bust your butt on these rotations. First one there, last one to leave mentality - always say yes to anything. Offer to do a grand rounds. Try to get involved in a research project with faculty. Also, don't be shy to ask for a letter from a big name guy even if you only worked with him a little. The worst he can say is no. While aways are important, they aren't everything and you can match at places you did not do an away. You can also be told by everyone during an away that you are great and still not match there. Do your homework and find out what schools typically give interviews to rotators and try to focus on really killing it at those places.

In an effort to remain as anonymous as possible (even if it's pretty easy to figure out who I am at this point), anything other than general questions about the process I ask you to PM me. I got to this point by the help of many kind strangers. I would love to help future applicants (MD and DO) as much as possible.

Still so incredibly happy with my match!

Reactions: 1 user
[deleted]

Last edited:
I ended up with around 10 interviews. Step 1 is obviously important to get your foot in the door, but it's really the rest of your application that gets the job done. You must have strong letters from important academic faculty. Like Sam alluded to, connections matter. A strong letter from a community ophthalmologist is fine, but it won't have the power of even an average letter from a PD or Chair. I had a couple interviews where I was told I was given an interview bc they knew one of my letter writers. I was very aggressive about making connections and it paid off. Research is very important as well and was discussed at every interview I had, as was my personal statement. Do not over look these parts of your app. Aways are important too. I would urge any borderline applicant to rotate at as many places as possible. You must bust your butt on these rotations. First one there, last one to leave mentality - always say yes to anything. Offer to do a grand rounds. Try to get involved in a research project with faculty. Also, don't be shy to ask for a letter from a big name guy even if you only worked with him a little. The worst he can say is no. While aways are important, they aren't everything and you can match at places you did not do an away. You can also be told by everyone during an away that you are great and still not match there. Do your homework and find out what schools typically give interviews to rotators and try to focus on really killing it at those places.

In an effort to remain as anonymous as possible (even if it's pretty easy to figure out who I am at this point), anything other than general questions about the process I ask you to PM me. I got to this point by the help of many kind strangers. I would love to help future applicants (MD and DO) as much as possible.

Still so incredibly happy with my match!

Do you believe that this is the process an MD student goes through as well in matching to opth? It seems like you put in a lot of effort and only got a few interviews.