How did you all get your hours? I have a question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! :)

I'm wondering how many of you did CNA or EMT certs for your clinical exposure hours. I've been looking for a way to make good money and I've been wanting to get hours and this seems to be a pretty good solution.

My therapist suggested it to me as soon as I told her I was thinking about retaking a pre-req I got a C in to potentially get into a MD or DO school. ^^

So, what did you all do? Thanks for the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I did EMT and scribing. As a junior I was also hired as a "research associate" in the ED.

^Research Associate was great because there was a research aspect (even co-authored some published articles) and a clinical aspect (drawing blood, shadowing attending, visiting with patients, etc.).

How was that?

I feel mixed about getting an EMT cert because I'm not in the best shape physically and I'm not sure how I would handle emergency scenarios. In the past, I've been alright with emergencies. (Unfortunately, I've had a few isolated experiences where it could have been ugly, but my brain traded over to MacGyver mode and I was able to deal with it.)

Did you enjoy your experiences? Well, as much as one enjoys emergencies, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly how out of shape are you? I've had EMT friends who were obese, and one who was pregnant, who managed to do their jobs, but everyone has different limitations. CNA can also be a pretty physical job. Both run a high risk of back injuries, regardless of fitness level.

Are you only interested for the experience? CNA should have a shorted/easier training period in most places, and some facilities will pay for your training, but the pay is usually lower than for an EMT, and you can do more as an EMT. If you join a volunteer fire department they will usually pay for EMT training.

If you want to jump in right away, some hospitals and assisted living facilities don't require you to be a CNA, they will train you on the job and you can be a "patient care technician" or "resident assistant".

How was that?

I feel mixed about getting an EMT cert because I'm not in the best shape physically and I'm not sure how I would handle emergency scenarios. In the past, I've been alright with emergencies. (Unfortunately, I've had a few isolated experiences where it could have been ugly, but my brain traded over to MacGyver mode and I was able to deal with it.)

Did you enjoy your experiences? Well, as much as one enjoys emergencies, I guess.

Being in great physical condition isn't always a prerequisite, you can always just be straight up about it... they might place restrictions like "no lifting the stretcher" or something along those lines. We had a 70-year-old man on our service. I think you need to be able to lift 100-pounds, and that's about it. I never went through a physical abilities test or anything. Emergencies... eh... you get used to them after a while. I used to freak out anytime I had a call. After a couple of months I basically just walked casually to the ambulance... I even listened to my iPod on the way to the scene sometimes. Plus, a lot of calls you get are for old ladies who fell (they're adorable though) or minor emergencies like that... as long as it's not a broken hip. My experiences were very beneficial. I really felt connected with my community.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly how out of shape are you? I've had EMT friends who were obese, and one who was pregnant, who managed to do their jobs, but everyone has different limitations. CNA can also be a pretty physical job. Both run a high risk of back injuries, regardless of fitness level.

Are you only interested for the experience? CNA should have a shorted/easier training period in most places, and some facilities will pay for your training, but the pay is usually lower than for an EMT, and you can do more as an EMT. If you join a volunteer fire department they will usually pay for EMT training.

If you want to jump in right away, some hospitals and assisted living facilities don't require you to be a CNA, they will train you on the job and you can be a "patient care technician" or "resident assistant".

I'm just chubby. I can move a lot of weight at once; but breakneck running probably would not be a good thing for me. I have been working towards losing the weight. ^^

Being in great physical condition isn't always a prerequisite, you can always just be straight up about it... they might place restrictions like "no lifting the stretcher" or something along those lines. We had a 70-year-old man on our service. I think you need to be able to lift 100-pounds, and that's about it. I never went through a physical abilities test or anything. Emergencies... eh... you get used to them after a while. I used to freak out anytime I had a call. After a couple of months I basically just walked casually to the ambulance... I even listened to my iPod on the way to the scene sometimes. Plus, a lot of calls you get are for old ladies who fell (they're adorable though) or minor emergencies like that... as long as it's not a broken hip. My experiences were very beneficial. I really felt connected with my community.

That's a badass old guy! So, it does get better? I mean I'm just worried that I'll be the new kid showing up to a multi-casualty car accident or a shooting.

That's a badass old guy! So, it does get better? I mean I'm just worried that I'll be the new kid showing up to a multi-casualty car accident or a shooting.
I wouldn't worry about gunshots unless you're on an inner-city ambulance service in places like Camden, NJ or Flint, MI

I was in upstate New York and responded to gunshot wounds thrice in my 6 years of service.

1 was a hunting accident.
1 was a drunk guy who shot himself in the foot. --- We showed up and he was fully naked by the way.
1 was a legitimate act of violence.

Car accidents, on the other hand, are quite common. Some of them are very serious, some of them aren't. The biggest thing we worry about in accidents would definitely be spinal injury. These days, if they're wearing seat belts, they don't usually have a whole lot of bloody injuries.

I wouldn't worry about gunshots unless you're on an inner-city ambulance service in places like Camden, NJ or Flint, MI

I was in upstate New York and responded to gunshot wounds thrice in my 6 years of service.

1 was a hunting accident.
1 was a drunk guy who shot himself in the foot. --- We showed up and he was fully naked by the way.
1 was a legitimate act of violence.

Car accidents, on the other hand, are quite common. Some of them are very serious, some of them aren't. The biggest thing we worry about in accidents would definitely be spinal injury. These days, if they're wearing seat belts, they don't usually have a whole lot of bloody injuries.

I'm not in such a location. It's just my jittery side speaking out. I'd have a lot more hunting incidents.

I'm just chubby. I can move a lot of weight at once; but breakneck running probably would not be a good thing for me. I have been working towards losing the weight. ^^

Lol I've never seen an EMT run for anything. Most of our EMTs are obese and do fine. I don't mind cause I'm a smaller guy and can't lift much. The bigger guys can usually lift way more.

Lol I've never seen an EMT run for anything. Most of our EMTs are obese and do fine. I don't mind cause I'm a smaller guy and can't lift much. The bigger guys can usually lift way more.

Well, I am a girl, but I am built like a man, unfortunately. I can wear my father's fatigues from when he was in the Army as a Staff Sergeant before he was a Green Beret and his 51" shoulders fit me just fine. It's weird, really. Even the arms are the right length. o.o

I'm around 5'10, but around 255 lbs. (Down 20 from where I was, though!) I have been trained in a little bit of jiu-jitsu on campus and I've thrown people that are heavier than me. xD

How was that?

As an EMT I worked with people who were absolutely huge (I mean BIG)... I'm sure you're fine. With that being said, unless you're reaching the end of your undergrad and plan to go into med school right away (aka not taking a gap year), I would definitely recommend getting your EMT cert. Life changing experience for me.

As an EMT I worked with people who were absolutely huge (I mean BIG)... I'm sure you're fine. With that being said, unless you're reaching the end of your undergrad and plan to go into med school right away (aka not taking a gap year), I would definitely recommend getting your EMT cert. Life changing experience for me.

I may try to do that over a summer or so. I'm a rising junior; and I've been thinking of other professions too. Thanks!

How does spending hours being certified to be an EMT (or being an EMT for that matter) expose you to clinical medicine?

It doesn't...OP, I got certified to be an EMT and all I can say is do a ton of research about the demand in your area because there may be a) no open positions b)many companies may just want paramedics c) both. In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend you go that route because, as mentioned, it is not clinical experience and it may not be what you think it is. Also you definitely don't have to be all that in shape.

How does spending hours being certified to be an EMT (or being an EMT for that matter) expose you to clinical medicine?
Clinical rotations, ED tech, etc.
Plus, even though it's not in a clinic, it still counts as "clinical experience" at least in the eyes of medical school admissions. After all, you are treating patients.

It's very valuable experience if you can get a job. Like the above poster said, that can be very difficult. See if you can find a few people currently looking for EMT positions to ask.

Clinical rotations, ED tech, etc.
Plus, even though it's not in a clinic, it still counts as "clinical experience" at least in the eyes of medical school admissions. After all, you are treating patients.

I have sat on medical school admissions. I currently help with residency admissions. If you think the purpose of "clinical experience" in an application is "treating patients", there is something wrong.

From an education standpoint, coming into medical school having been an ED tech or an EMT is not going to help you at all. I'm not saying that it isn't valuable to have this experience. It just doesn't really serve the function of "clinical experience" that I would really look for in an applicant.

Last edited:
I have sat on medical school admissions. I currently help with residency admissions. If you think the purpose of "clinical experience" in an application is "treating patients", there is something wrong.

From an education standpoint, coming into medical school having been an ED tech or an EMT is not going to help you at all. I'm not saying that it isn't valuable to have this experience. It just doesn't really serve the function of "clinical experience" that I would really look for in an applicant.

What would you look for?

I'm more curious than anything, really. ^^

When I was applying to medical school they counted it as clinical experience. These guys aren't applying to residencies, so it's a moot point.