How did you ask for a rec letter?

Started by MaryWrathers
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How did you ask for a rec letter?

  • Phone

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Email

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • In person

    Votes: 20 76.9%
  • other, please mention below.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    26
Hi mary,

I would suggest in person. That way you can discuss with them what you are looking for them to write as well as give them a copy of your resume. Also if its been awhile they might not recognize the name off the bat but might recognize the face. I would never ask for a LOR over email or phone unless they were not in my area. Then I'd ask over the phone. Much more personal. :luck:
 
While you really should do this in person, I had one Prof. that was REALLY busy (I think he was up for tenure.) When I tried to make an appointment to see him (he wasn't teaching classes that semester and didn't have any office hours,) he pretty much wouldn't agree to see me until I told him what it was about. I eventually asked him in email, and he said something like "Sure, I'd be happy to -- there's no need for you to stop by, just send me PDFs of your CV, etc."

I would highly recommend asking in person, however (which I did for all of my other LORs -- except for a former boss that now lives in India.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i did it via email but offered to meet with them in person. i ended up meeting with one and just mailing the resume/personal statment to the others. i feel it worked out well but we'll see if I get in anywhere... I'm a bit social-phobic and so are most profs.
 
Hi mary, I can't vote because I'm doing it both face to face and through e-mail. One professor I need a letter from in is Virginia and I'm in Illinois. So e-mail is the best option for me. I also asked my current A&P II instructor for one last Thursday after class (our class ends in 2 weeks).

Hope this helps.
 
i agree. in person is best. i did this will all my recommenders but one, since that would be a very expensive "in person" request (he's in cali, i'm in florida).
 
I called the college and found out that the professor was out for the summer so I send her an email. That worked. I mailed her a package with my info (PS, CV and transcripts) and then she mailed a letter to Interfolio.
The second professor I went to see in the office.
The third one I emailed and planning to see him soon.
I think the best way to do it is to make an appointment and see them in person.