How did you decide what to major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I should major in. If I could decide how things went, I wouldn't even want a major, just a bunch of minors!

I know I want to study: Philosophy, Business, Spanish, History, English, political science, psychology, sociology humanities, and logic. Seems general, but I don't know of a single major that encompasses all of the above in-depth while filling in all my prerequisites.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the process of actually doing original science research...I'm just starting college this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter as long as take all the prerequisite classes. You can do that by checking each school website.

I would say choose a major that interests you the most. Of course majority of candidates are science majors but being a non-science wouldn't downgrade your chance. As long as you have high overall GPA, high science GPA, and high DAT score.

Regardless, a non-science major might make you stand out among all other stellar applicants.

Don't forget volunteering/shadowing experiences, EC activities, LORs, science research, employment....

Make you major the backup plan if dental school doesn't work out.

There are a lot of people who graduate with science majors who have no interest in working in science and are stuck with a degree for which they have no passion. This doesn't describe everyone who majors in science, but I would look at your major as what you want to do if you don't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, I need to find something that would work as a back-up, but that would combine the things I'm interested in. I know it doesn't really matter in the end as long as I get accepted to dental school, but I still have to decide a major....

Don't worry about making your backup plan your major, you should do a major that you enjoy, that's the most important thing, and will go a long ways towards helping your GPA when applying. A universal backup plan for just about every profession is Law, even if you don't think you like law, there's some aspect of law that you could probably find interesting if your plan A doesn't work. :) Law school isn't particularly hard to get into, the top ones excluded, and there are tons of them, and they don't really have any pre-reqs, other than taking the LSAT. You will have to pass the Bar eventually, which is varying in difficulty depending on your state, but, eh, you can take it as many times as you want.

Though, first and foremost you should keep focused on what you want to do, dental, and don't give up on that. I've seen people apply for 6 years and finally get in. Don't sweat it, and go enjoy college! :)