Why did you decide to go to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacbi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was accepted into several dental schools and I have received an interview from USC recently. I am deciding if I should go for the interview or not.

Can anyone tell me what are some factors made you decide to go to USC instead of other dental schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

where else are you accepted? if you’re able to live at home i wonder consider it, if not pbl isn’t worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Due to the high cost, people usually go to USC because it's their only acceptance or they want to stay in CA.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,
I was accepted into several dental schools and I have received an interview from USC recently. I am deciding if I should go for the interview or not.

Can anyone tell me what are some factors made you decide to go to USC instead of other dental schools?

Thanks!
hard pass...

or they want to stay in CA.
1534CB62-D2C8-4A09-A28C-7DFDE756FAE9.gif

Big Hoss

I respectfully declined my interview invitation because it was too expensive.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
where else are you accepted? if you’re able to live at home i wonder consider it, if not pbl isn’t worth it in my opinion.
I got into MWU in Arizona and Touro but declined Touro. Declined my interview at Detroit as well. I am deciding if I should interview at USC since I live in north CA and LA sounds more fun.. Some ppl say USC alumni network and name value are good but idk if that matters..

I got into MWU in Arizona and Touro but declined Touro. Declined my interview at Detroit as well. I am deciding if I should interview at USC since I live in north CA and LA sounds more fun.. Some ppl say USC alumni network and name value are good but idk if that matters..
i don’t know how the alumni network works maybe if you personally know someone who went to usc. i know you get hired based on your hand skills, not the name of the school and midwestern offers the best clinical experience out there. with usc you’d probably have to do a residency after graduation. if money is a concern it’s very expensive to live in la and usc is not in a safe area.

i don’t know how the alumni network works maybe if you personally know someone who went to usc. i know you get hired based on your hand skills, not the name of the school and midwestern offers the best clinical experience out there. with usc you’d probably have to do a residency after graduation. if money is a concern it’s very expensive to live in la and usc is not in a safe area.
Thank you for your advice! Is residency required in USC?

Alumni networks are not worth that much, you get hired as a new dentist mostly based on having a license.
Thank you for your advice! Is residency required in USC?
Residency is not required for licensure as a general dentist in the US except for NY.

Alumni networks are not worth that much, you get hired as a new dentist mostly based on having a license.

Residency is not required for licensure as a general dentist in the US except for NY.
Thank you for clarifying that!

what do practices hire new grads based on, when multiple people are applying for the position?

what do practices hire new grads based on, when multiple people are applying for the position?
Just based on my experience with classmates but there is not usually that many people applying for the same position.

But generally based on the interview if they like you. Some will have you do a working interview or look at a previous portfolio of work, maybe talk to a dentist mentor you had as a reference.

Basically you can get a position as a new dentist. It likely will have some issues, and a high percentage of people leave jobs within a year. The goal for private practice dentists is ownership as associates are always making less and have less control. Of course ownership has its own issues but you have autonomy and 1.5-2x income if not more.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
I say go to your interview! There are a ton of scholarship programs available. I attend a very expensive medical school but I have an NHSC scholarship. The same is available for dental school…full tuition + stipend and you graduate with little or no debt. Practice for 4 years in a rural area and then the rest of your career is yours!!!!

I would be very careful about taking an NHSC scholarship. I've only read nightmare horror stories. The ones that come to mind is that the NHSC will only count certain hours as part of your required repayment (i.e. clinic, hospital, admin duties are not all considered equal). Also, you have no flexibility if life happens (marriage, kids, family emergency) and need to relocate. Third, since you're essentially "locked in" you have no negotiation power and salaries tend to be worse than straight up going private practice (building a patient base, autonomy).

In many states you can get $280k/year + $200k loan reimbursement paid from a private hospital. This gives you more flexibility (you can leave at year 2, 3, 4, etc and get $50k/year reimbursement). If you leave the NHSC for whatever reason you have to pay them back THREE times what they paid on your behalf
NHSC is a fantastic deal for dental school lol I don’t know what it’s like for medicine but there’s a reason it’s extremely competitive for dentistry