How did YOU fill out applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you fill out your secondaries by hand or typewriter? If you haven't filled any out yet, how do you plan on filling them out? By hand or by machine? I'm curious as to which is best. Obviously, typing it will look nicer and more professional, but at the same time it's a slower process, especially using that dusting, old typewriter that I have stashed away in my closet! What did successful applicants do previously? What would work best?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used a dusty old typewritter :D

The rest of the application responses for essay type responses and detailed account of post secondary experience, I printed out in a separate sheet of paper from my computer and merely put a "See separate sheet" on that particular application section.

Most, if not all, the secondary apps will allow you to print stuff out in a separate sheet.....

popoy is right....and for some areas, you can print the answers and then cut and paste the application.

Typing looks more professional....even if you have wonderful penmanship, I would think about typing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! :)

Don't mind me. I'm just testing out my new signature. For those of you who've seen the movie Office Space, you know what I'm talking about! :)

Atlas --

TYPE YOUR APPS!! At my interviews, they were sitting there with my app right in front of them and I would've felt very silly if they were deciphering my handwriting.

And, as someone who has reviewed applications for a position before, when it came down to two or three people, we tossed the apps of the people who didn't take the time to type their answers. It isn't professional and it shows a lack of respect.

Good luck!!

I'm not the best typist in the world so I asked my church secretary to type up my applications. I went to Kinkos and made copies of all my secondaries just in case she messed up. I didn't want to turn in a nasty looking application. To become a doctor I must show that I am professional and writing on my application would show that I am not.

Thank you all very much! I guess I know how I'm gonna fill out my applications! I better go find the trusty typewriter and start practicing. The nice thing about computers in the backspace key...never have I loved a key so much! I don't have that luxury on a typewriter! Oh well...I gotta "Make it Happen!"

Thanks again

I heard some people buy 8"/11" transparent stickers and print on them; then just cut the sticker and paste...Also, if the secondary apps have no "lines" for responses and just an empty space, then you may use your computer and adjust the line spacing to fit the space...And just print on the paper...I've done that before, but make practice print outs on plain paper and put it over the actual application to see if it fits.