How did you get to shadow a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GDLane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who shadowed a dentist, how did you get in touch with him or her? Did you just call them up or is there some type of directory/network out there?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could talk to an advisor at your school and see if the school has a relationship with any local dentists, although this route may come with scheduling problems due to a high volume of interest. Otherwise, just call around and ask...I would start with your own dentist though, and if that works, see if he/she has any colleagues that would also be willing to help you out.

You should just try calling a few local dentists or sending them a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO the best place to start is your own dentist. They should for the most part be happy to give you a helping hand if you let them know how passionate you are about being a dentist.

Also another good source could be your friends and their dentists. The dentist I'm shadowing/assisting currently was actually my friend's dentist. Great guy :laugh:

i started off as a volunteer at a hospital and then i asked the volunteer coordinator to put me in touch with the person that was in charge of the dental clinic, the fact that i was already a volunteer assured them that i would be a good person and wouldn't be too much of a hassle

I called and emailed many dentists in the area. Many of them said they were just too busy... not interested.. etc etc. It was very frustating!

Surfing the internet, i went into the State of Maryland licensed dentists. In that website, there were phone numbers and email addreses. I emailed a couple of dentists ( from University of Maryland).
I got the response from two dentists. I shadowed both of them.

Just remember that eventhough it can be frustrating at first.. it pays off at the end..

Good luck!

I treated it like a job interview. I would call a dentist and ask if I could come in and talk to them about the possibility of shadowing them. If they said yes I would make an appointment at their convenience, and then I showed up for that appointment in very professional attire (shirt, tie, and slacks) to interview for the opportunity to shadow. It works everytime plus you also get a great lor from them.

For those of you who shadowed a dentist, how did you get in touch with him or her? Did you just call them up or is there some type of directory/network out there?

Thanks!

Fortunately for me I live near a dental school and I was able to shadow in the AEGD clinic. But I had a few friends who shadowed at the city dental clinic here in town. If there are any clinics (ie. state dental clinics) in your area that might be your best bet. I had originally talked to a private practioner, but he said that it was difficult to shadow because it made patients uncomfortable. It really just depends on the doctor though. Whichever you choose though, for sure treat it like a job interview and always be professional as a previous poster suggested.

I shadowed quite a few dentists by first volunteering at a free clinic...... it doesn't have to be for long. Once you shmooze with them, try and see if they'll let you shadow at their private practice. I got about 4 people to say yes.... plus 2 people who offered to let me shadow them without my having asked them (I think they liked me because I volunteer a lot). Dentists have dentist friends, so get in with one and he/she will introduce you to more. It's like a domino effect. GL

I asked my dentist when I had a cleaning. When he turned me down I started looking for family practices since I thought they would be the easiest. I asked my wife's dentist and he said ok. I would say GO IN PERSON. DONT send a letter or call. It's too lazy. Imagine if you were a dentist and some kid called and asked if you could shadow compared to a kid who walked in and asked. Which would you take more seriously? How hard is it to drive to a dentist's office and ask if you can shadow? Leave a message with the receptionist if you have to.

just try going for assisting off the bat?

ask some dentists if they would like some help for free at the office? hopefully, in the back office. dont want to be stuck doing a bunch of paperwork in the front, but even that would be a good experience. when you are helping around you can also "shadow?"

start out with the simple stuff like cleaning, sterlization, wiping down chairs...........then start with stuff like suction, getting instruments for the dentist, doing impressions..........

i dunno..........i like assisting more than shadowing.

I was dating his daughter. The daughter and I are no longer dating, but still friends and I am still in the office.

If I didn't know him, I would have asked my dentist or just asked around different offices.

dressed nicely before school, then stopped by all the dentists close to my house on the way home from class. I walked into one and the receptionist ran back to talk to the dentist. she returned, saying I should go back and talk to him...so I walked up the back stairs, followed his voice and walked straight into him starting a composite. He was very friendly and ended up I standing there in my jacket and backpack for an hour and a half while he talked my ear off :D

Members don't see this ad :)
The first dentist I shadowed, I just walked into the office and asked if he would allow me to shadow him and he said yes. He was only 26 years old and drop dead gorgeous!! The second dentist I shadowed was my orthodontist who was more than happy to help me out. My smile now brings him business so I guess I am returning the favor, LOL. I remember I asked him if I could shadow him on a Saturday and he basically laughed at me for even thinking that he works on a Saturday. He's awesome.

He was very friendly and ended up I standing there in my jacket and backpack for an hour and a half while he talked my ear off :D

Most dentists love what they do and they'll share their passion for the profession with someone who's interested in it as well.

I think most dentists would take it as a compliment if asked if someone could shadow them.

You should call them and say hi. Also, make sure to thank them :)

Thanks for all your help!

I went on my state's dental association site and there were a LOT of personal email addresses and I sent out a mass email to everyone. I'm not sure if it was a wise idea, but I had to take a chance because I knew I wasn't going to get responses from everyone.

Find some offices that do some things that you may be interested in (GP or different specialties) and give them a call and speak with the secretary. Just leave your name, number, and intentions and tell he/she to have the doctor call you at his/her convenience. Once you get in with one or two then they will help you get up with others that are their friends or people they refer to/get referrals from.

Trust me it is really easy all it takes is a little first effort to show you really are interested. Also, when you go to somebodies office dress and act very professionally. This may just be a few days in another office for you but for the dentist it is their business where you will interact with their patients (on some level). If you make a good impression on the staff and patients then that will solidify your relationship with the dentist.

It seems that dentists are very open to it. To find dentists to shadow, I looked in the phone book and made a list of local dentists, dressed up in khakis and a button down shirt, and drove around to them. I walked in the first place and they only took my number. I walked in the second place, asked if I could talk to the dentist about shadowing, and a few minutes later he came out and talked to me. We set up a time and I got 35 hours with him. Just walk in and ask, you'll probably find someone within a couple of hours. Took me 25 min. Good luck.

Call and ask!
:D

call and make an appointment every day. Its expensive. You'll have really clean teeth. But you will get to see what he's doing.

Depends. Ask your friends who their dentists are if you have to, that way when you call a "random" dentist, you can establish some kind of trust by saying your best friend goes there, recommended their office, etc, whatever.

My dentist made conversation with me about wanting to become a dentist while he was jabbing my gums to hell, and he agreed that it would be great for me to come in and shadow. Start with somene you know. If you don't know any dentists, start with someone who KNOWS someone you know?

Or you could try your luck with the random calling.