How did you go about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamsammich

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These questinons are targeted to U.S. students who are studying in Israel.

How did you go about explaining to your family that you wanted to study in such a volatile part of the world? Are you ever afraid that something horrible will happen to you when you are in big cities, like Tel Aviv? If so, does this anxiety hamper your studying or make you alter your day to day life? Have your families gotten used to you being in the Middle East, or do they constantly worry? Lastly, any stories about dangerous situations that have been personally close?

I am someone who is extremely interested in international health. Israel, from what I understand, seems like a GREAT place to study medicine. The problem lies in convincing everyone else...

Members don't see this ad.

it was actually my parents idea for me to go here...you have to understand that the american media makes out to be worse than it really is...tel aviv is not on the border of gaza...and i never have felt unsafe while i'm there...i take the bus often...you have to show your bags at every entrance

some people would say its dangerous to attend school in the US from all the shooting that grab the news...you need to take what cnn and fox say with a grain of salt

I don't know if it's a possibility for you, but I think the best way to convince any parent that the media's portrayal of Israel is very different from the true nature of the country, is to have the parent go there and see for themselves.

Two summers ago I lived in Israel during the war with Lebanon. I went about my daily routine in Jerusalem; it did not at all feel like I was living in a country that was at war. My parents, on the other hand, watched the news each night and the images put forth were too much for them. They insisted that I return home. So, as you can imagine, when I mentioned to them that I was only interested in doing medical school in Israel, they were really apprehensive. Luckily, my mother visited the country last fall for the first time in 20 years. She came back with a newfound perspective. I will be begining Sackler this coming fall and my parents couldn't be more thrilled that I will be in Israel specifically. I really think the best way to show someone that daily life in Israel is NOT how the media portrays it, is to visit the country..

Yea, the media portrayal was inherent in my question being targeted towards U.S. nationals. I am aware that things are more than likely not how the media portrays them and that the 'good' things about Israel is not what makes international headlines. I guess I'm just wondering if there are any students whose family/friends had never even considered the middle east as a place to visit/live. And, if so, how did they take the news that you want to study in a place that they perceive as utterly dangerous? Has anyone had to completely forsake their parent's wishes to study in Israel?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but that is something that I think about a lot. I would (and do) appreciate any feedback, no matter how small!