How did you guys get through failure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeohlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's my first semester in college...and it's going pretty badly. I was psyched to have gotten into such a prestigious school...but now I question myself how I even got into it. :/ I got into this school with a pretty damn big grant that covers for 4 years of my tuition. So...yea...they probably expect a lot from me I'm guessing?

I'm doing SO badly in gen. chem I right now. I'm basically flunking the class. My teacher told our class that for those who are failing the exams should probably withdraw from the class. I have two more exams...but even if I get like 90's I'd still end up with a D. Yeah...
And I happen to fall into that category. It's only a month and a half and I might get a W on my transcript already!!

It's always been my dream to become a general dentist and now that I'm failing so badly........I don't even know what to think anymore.
Has this ever happened to you guys? I think I might have to retake it either next semester or in the summer. I am really determined to get that A next time....but as of now....my head is all over the place!

Please help me!! :(
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

FAILURE. DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO. DOES IT?!!?

Anyways, I know a lot of people who do bad their first year and that includes me. What you have to do from now till next semester is LEARN TO STUDY. It is the biggest difference between Uni and HS. You will need to learn to study for different courses, Bio will be different from Physics which will be different from an ethics course. If you're partying every week stop. If you don't have a schedule on your phone or whatever, write it. Keep up with your course work weekly. Semesters are about 15 weeks so being behind one week can bring you back pretty far.

As for your current situation, take the W. I think people are generally lenient towards your first semester/year since you are getting adjusted. Just don't fall behind too much again and you'll do fine. Unfortunately, the more mistakes you make now the less wiggle room you have in later years, so take this course as a learning situation. I can attest to this since I'm still trying to mend my GPA from my freshman year... If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I was actually an academic assistant to freshman pre-health students my sophomore year and I've heard it all. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I withdrew sociology my first semester and public speaking my second semester. I'm a junior now with 3 pre Dec interviews. Fear not

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, great job by not giving up. College is a major change and Adcoms understand, so as long as you show semesterly improvement, you'll be fine.

This may sound cliche but it really does come down to lots of experience. Start with in-class lecture problems if your prof gives those. After that, move on to doing and re-doing homework problem sets. Attend every recitation. Make it a point to go to your professor's office hours and ask questions on the lecture from that day only.

You need to be able to explain every problem and the reasoning behind every technique- make this your goal.

Those are just a few study techniques. Now, the question comes to administrative stuff. Can you, instead of dropping the course, take it as a P/F? This looks much more favorable than withdrawing and having your transcript show that you carried less than a full semester load. Regroup and attack next semester.

I have also found prior experience to be extremely helpful in chemistry i.e. get a study guide like Barrons EZ Chemistry and read through it. Trust me on this- It will work wonders for you when the concept is covered in class.

I know everything I just suggested sounds like an overwhelming amount of work, but put in the time and reap the rewards.

ALSO, READ THE TEXTBOOK BEFORE CLASS. Again, this is very much a common piece of advice but do it AND TAKE NOTES. Read first, and then go back and take notes (so that the notes reinforce the reading instead of being the reading). I would finish the material that was going to be tested on an exam 2 weeks before the exam in the textbook (while the lecture was a few chapters behind). This way, I began my studying while the lectures finished. Paid big dividends.

Feel free to ask me more specific questions or if you have any questions about gen chem in general- I'd love to help you out.

ALSO, I just remembered that I commented on another of your posts (re. Bio). Taking Gen Chem and Gen Bio together by itself is a rigorous load, and the fact that you're taking them in freshman year is even harder. So don't worry about what dental schools will think- they understand this kind of stuff.

Aw man, thanks for such encouraging words :)
I think I will withdraw from the class and just work for that A next time!

@Incis0r - lol yes, bio is also pretty hard, but at least I'm not flunking it!

Start using online material for your help in gchem since you are struggling. Look up videos that explain particular topics that you're having issues with.

Reactions: 1 user
HEY! Don't freak out. I wasn't very confident starting my application. I had a few Ds on my transcript, and I thought that was not going to be tolerated. I have 4 pre-december interviews! I've gone to 2 now, and not once have they asked about my grades even though it was open-folder. I know how you feel, but just make sure you try to get the best grades you can from there on. Plus, you're only a freshman. You've got plenty of time!

Reactions: 1 users
My first semester in college, I got a 2.25 GPA in EASY classes. C in Econ, C in Math, D in Gen Chem, A in English. I was only taking 12 hours, I had Tuesdays and Thursdays off, and I still did that poorly. But I learned from that experience. I stopped skipping class, I started studying, I retook that gen chem class, and I got a 3.6 the very next semester, then a 4.0 until graduation. My first semester was a talking point at my interview. I got to go in depth about how dentistry motivated me to study.
Once you find that determination, it becomes easy. Finding the will to study is tough, but just keep your goal in mind. I am sitting in my operative class right now, learning about amalgam restorations, not regretting a second of all that studying I did in undergrad.
It's tough, but you can do it!

Find motivation was the trick for me.

My sophomore year of college I went to the pre-health advising office and the secretary (horribly impolite woman) said I couldn't speak to the advisor since I didn't have a 3.2 GPA at the time. I said that's why I needed help, I was struggling to get my grades up and wanted advice for dental school. She literally said "It doesn't matter you'll never get into dental school anyway, you can't see the advisor." I got so steamed and started arguing with this lady over it not being her job to tell struggling college students what they can and can't do.

So yeah, I've thought of her every day for the past 4 years to help motivate me into getting in to dental school. On a plus side, the secretary got fired for so many student complaints.

Find something to motivate and drive you, long term and short, it really helps.

The road to what you constitute as success is a zig-zagged path, not a straight line.

I guess I'll be the one to give both sides of the coin.

You can go in two directions now.

The first one is echoing what everyone else has been saying: it's your first semester, it takes time to adjust, people have done horribly their freshman year and have bounced back, you'll be fine, all you need is hard work and to find your niche...

That's all very, very true, and very possible.

On the other hand, the science pathway just isn't right for everyone. I can't tell you how many people were so gung-ho upon entering uni, saying they were going to med school, pharm, dentistry, bragging that they were pre-X, etc. But eventually, within 2 years, they all switched majors and have taken different paths. A pre-med friend of mine is now a real estate agent, a pre-dent has traveled to a third world country doing global health stuff, a pre-pharm is doing who knows what now (after switching her major from biochem to math, she has graduated now).

It just doesn't work out for some people. You, however, have obviously worked hard enough to get into your prestigious school. You can be that ex-pre-dental student, or you can do what others have said and do your darndest next time, because it ain't gonna get easier.

You did the right thing by taking that W. Learn from your mistakes that caused you to fail, and do tons better next time (not just in chem, but any class). But if it just doesn't click, you may have to consider changing career paths, or you'll be in for a rough ride.

Thanks guys, for the inputs. :)
I talked to my professor today and he said that he doesn't recommend me to withdraw.
He said that the class avg for the last exam was a 50 (the curve is to a B- at the avg).
And since I got around the avg, he said that I have potential to do better in the next exams?
Ugh, I don't know. What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense, but after he told me this I don't know what to do.

**Edit: I thought that he doesn't curve...but apparently he does. My class avg is literally an F...
So the "F's" that I got on my past exams...are probably low C's.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, for the inputs. :)
I talked to my professor today and he said that he doesn't recommend me to withdraw.
He said that the class avg for the last exam was a 50 (the curve is to a B- at the avg).
And since I got around the avg, he said that I have potential to do better in the next exams?
Ugh, I don't know. What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense, but after he told me this I don't know what to do.

**Edit: I thought that he doesn't curve...but apparently he does. My class avg is literally an F...
So the "F's" that I got on my past exams...are probably low C's.

That's great!

Just study hard now, make sure you can do the book problems and any optional homework your prof assigns. Understand the concept! Know why you are doing this instead of that, using this formula and not the other one. Gen Chem when it comes down to the raw basics, is mostly just math with some fun science behind everything you're doing. I can't teach you the whole of genchem in this post, but if you are truly struggling, I can point you to some resources:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry

Princeton Review AP Chemistry (this is basically college genchem) - go through what your prof is going through, you'll be able to pick chem up much quicker.

And remember, the basic rules of chemistry:

one "mole" of a certain Element (O, N, F, H, P, S, C...etc) is equal to exactly the "atomic mass" (bottom of element box, with decimals) in grams. Let's say you put one "mole" of sodium atoms, and you dissolved them (ignoring the explosive reaction) in water (DON'T DO THIS AT HOME) in 1 Liter of water. You have 1 mol Na in 1 Liter of water. This is equal to 1mol/L = 1 Molar = 1 M. Molar is just another way of expressing density. It tells you how concentrated something is.

Let's say now you are given 117 grams of Sodium Chloride (NaCl) and you dissolve that in 2 liters of water. What's its concentration? Simple, you work backwards. ONE NaCl is made up of 1 Na and 1 Cl. How many grams are in 1 mole of NaCl? First, you take grams in 1 mol Na and add to grams in 1 mol Cl. 23+35.5 roughly equals 58.5 grams for ever MOLE of NaCl. So, if you started with 117 grams, how many moles of NaCl were you given if every mole of NaCl has 58.5g? That's right, 2 moles. Dissolve 2 moles in 2 liters. Use the mol/L equation.
2 mol/2L
= 1 mol/1L
= 1mol/L.
mol/L = Molar = M.
1 mol/L = 1 M.

^ Up here, you will be using this for the rest of general chemistry. You have to get used to it. :D This is just one part of genchem you need to understand like it's second nature. The other important part is Dimensional analysis. This is the method you will be using for most of your math calculations: http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/mathrev/mr-da.html

I don't know how to exactly explain it, but once you read through that link, it will just click.

If you already knew/studied what I just explained, that is great :).

Good luck and I really hope you do well and pull up those grades. ;)

Watch this video. It seems silly at first, but listen to his words seriously. Maybe it will motivate you and help you put things in perspective.

Well, for me I it took me three times to finally understand Organic chemistry, I withdrew the course twice but third time I really wanted to get a good score so I studied everyday making it my first priority when I got home. Now it's been one of best subjects and one of my favorites in regards to science I know crazy right!!

Shoot me a message man.. I'm a freshman and I'm literally going through the same situation as you. I've already dropped chem and plan to take it in the summer.

If you can't hack general chemistry you won't be able to hack dental school. You should probably give up at this point and look into alternatives to dentistry.

So it's my first semester in college...and it's going pretty badly. I was psyched to have gotten into such a prestigious school...but now I question myself how I even got into it. :/ I got into this school with a pretty damn big grant that covers for 4 years of my tuition. So...yea...they probably expect a lot from me I'm guessing?

I'm doing SO badly in gen. chem I right now. I'm basically flunking the class. My teacher told our class that for those who are failing the exams should probably withdraw from the class. I have two more exams...but even if I get like 90's I'd still end up with a D. Yeah...
And I happen to fall into that category. It's only a month and a half and I might get a W on my transcript already!!

It's always been my dream to become a general dentist and now that I'm failing so badly........I don't even know what to think anymore.
Has this ever happened to you guys? I think I might have to retake it either next semester or in the summer. I am really determined to get that A next time....but as of now....my head is all over the place!

Please help me!! :(
Thanks...
I haven't read the replies yet but I was in a similar boat. I earned a D in both semesters in Chemistry and a C in both semesters of General Biology. I took a "gap year" and worked hard and did well on my DAT. I've gotten two interviews so far and there is plenty more good news coming my way. I would suggest that you get priorities set out for yourself. 99% of undergrad (well at least your first year if you are like me) is spent superfluously rather than wisely. Really follow the chapter readings, and do all of the tasks professors recommend that will allow you to succeed in class. Really make it a point to review lecture the same day you've gone. Go to office hours for tricky points or concepts (and it doesn't hurt to show that you care about succeeding to a professor who presumably talks about something they are passionate about). Going to office hours and asking questions or making comments after class will help your chances with a STRONG letter of recommendation. Start researching if you can! Join clubs or professional fraternities, if you're a bit of an introvert, to meet like-minded people who will hopefully encourage your success and be great partners for volunteer events. Start shadowing when you have free time but don't kill yourself over it. Learn about the profession through simulation courses offered by dental schools and other affiliates. Start drafting a personal statement-type essay about why you want to be a general dentist and edit it every month or few months (by the time your apps come around, you'll be turning it in by the first week). When the time comes to study for your DAT, set aside at least a month to really buckle down and live-eat-breathe the stuff and you'll end up with a great score.

Lastly don't give up. I changed a lot over the past couple years, and for the better. It happens to a lot of people and it's just a learning process or what I call "growing up."

Good luck with school and keep your head up (and stay out of trouble!)