how did you guys memorize all the mechanisms for organic chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patricklin27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have trouble memorizing some of the harder ones such as oxymercuration. How did you guys memorize all these mechanisms? DId you guys write it down and try to process each step semantically? Or did you guys just memorize them in your head a couple days before the test?

Also, how many mechanisms did you guys have to memorize before the DAT?

I did not take Orgo 2 so this may explain why I have such a hard time getting all the mechanisms down.

Members don't see this ad.

Just know that the OH goes on the least substituted carbon. Know the main/common mechanisms and do Destroyer Road Maps.

Did you watch Chad for orgo 2? If not, I highly recommend do that and his quizzes. See how you feel after 1 round. I watched orgo just once since Orgo was my thing. On the other hand I watched his gen chem 3 times over.

for the chad videos, were all the alkene rxns he talked about orgo 2? cause i took orgo 1 and most of those mechanisms are completely new to me.

0 mechanism.... But you should know the substrate functional group, reagent and what type of reaction will be.I learned alkene reactions in orgo 1 so it depends on the school.
I used flashcards to memorize.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way I found is by rewritng them. You can also look at few Books for more: Organic chemistry as a second language by Klein; Organic chemistry Odyssey and Pushing elctrons by Weeks. However, just reading is not enough. You must rewrite them many times. It worked for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

just know how the mechanisms work. most of it just requires knowing how the electrons move (lone pairs--->bonds and vice versa). you'll find that learning a few mechanisms will help with like 98% of the reactions you have to learn.

Last edited:
My favorite way to learn the mechanisms was with a whiteboard. I would just write them over and over again. This way you don't have to waste a bunch of paper, and you can use multiple colors, and it is actually more fun!