How did you pick your EM away rotation? And what difference did it make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaraKiz

I'm Ron Burgundy?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a third year.. thinking about where I want to do my away rotation. So, the trouble is, now how exactly do I go about picking that one place? And is it really that big of a deal in the end? I was gonna do some research on the programs I might be interested in through saem.org and just pick one that sounds awesome. Is there any better way to go about it?

Also, I am under the impression that the places I would like to go (Kick-ass trauma center in a crazy urban ED with nicer weather than Baltimore) would be "competitive" and doing my away rotation there would increase my chance of getting in. True or untrue? (Since I can't imagine life getting much better than trauma and the sun, I naturally assumed these are some of the more "competitive" programs.)

Any advice? How did you all pick your away rotations? Does it even matter?

Or is it one of those things that is like, "Well, if you did it there, and you really liked it, and then you got an interview there and rocked it, then yes it helps, but if you rotated there and loved it, but your interview was so so, and your board score was between this and this and your mother's name is Mary, then it won't help." Its one of those things isnt it? Its always one of those things.

Thanks in advance for the advice! Some of the programs I'm looking at tell you to apply for their rotation 6 months in advance so that puts me at Feb for application deadlines.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing to do is to identify a program in a geographic location you are interested in moving to, and then find a program in that area that has the characteristics you desire in a residency. For example, the med school I attend is on the east coast but I would like to do residency on the west coast. I then chose a program with a strong reputation that offers a different patient population than my home institution. I went all in and decided to do my away at the program I knew would likely be high on my match list. Some would shy away from this approach in the fear that if you performed poorly then you're pretty much screwed. However, residency interviews are exceptionally short, and an away rotation gives a program ample opportunity to evaluate you as a potential resident. If you are confident in your clinical skills, then I say go for it.

I would definitely look into setting up the rotation early. Some institutions don't participate in VSAS, and are first-come, first-serve, and so they can fill up early if you aren't on the ball.

To boil it down, I say do your homework (the saem site is great), find some programs that offer the experiences you are looking for in a location you are excited about. Be flexible and proactive and it should work out.

I figured where it would be a reality that I would match and make sure I rotated at at least one of these locations. One less desirable and one a dream spot. All different types of EDs. Also made sure they had free housing and free food. The free housing was a big thing for my budget - may not be as much a priority for some. Set them up early too. I set mine up in Feb and March and didn't run into many problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could do a couple of aways, I would do the first one at a place that lets you do anything as a medical student, typically a busy understaffed place that would appreciate you helping out, and also pick a place that you aren't crazy about matching there so you can try to do everything and not worry about looking bad.

Jumping in on this topic... If you have 1 elective to work with, is it better to do it at place where you think you have a better shot at getting in or is it better to be at a dream location?

I would do a little of both. Try to get some idea of your competitiveness as an applicant from match statistics, faculty at your school etc, and then try to find the program you are most interested in that is within your "range." Easier said than done I know but I would recommend that you shoot high. Even if you choose a program that typically takes stronger candidates, and you do well, then you should at least have a SLOR from a great place.

Personally, I would only go to a program that I had a strong chance of getting an interview at if it was a place I already really wanted to go to. If you only have one month free, don't go somewhere that won't offer you something unique, like the opportunity to make an impression at your ideal program or some really great clinical experiences.

One last consideration is geography. I was on the east coast and so I knew that it was important that I do my rotation on the west coast.

Also take into consideration doing a community based ER vs. university based ER rotation.

Which ones had free housing?

I only checked out osteo. Most of the time, there will be something on the website if they have it. I know if it's in a city (NYC, Philly, etc) it is less likely to get free housing.

Christiana Care in Delaware offers nearby free housing, which combined with the clinical experience makes for a fantastic rotation. You do need a car. Spots in the early months fill up fast.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the program that you're doing your away at. If you're doing the rotation at a relatively small program or one that isn't as well known nationally, then it might be a problem when you're applying nationally. As unfair as it might be to say, a letter from a nationally recognized program/faculty will go a looooOOoong way during the interview and subsequent ranking seasons.

Why? It's been explained to me that for programs, there's the bell curve for applicants: the top 20% that all programs are going to rank highly, the 20% at the bottom that no one wants, and what's been termed "the great undifferentiated middle." Programs know that lots of outstanding residents come from the "middle" but they have no way to know who's really good, all other things being equal. So the letters from folks and programs that they know (often quite personally) go a long way towards telling them something important about the applicants.

Also, I want to echo the location response above. If you're trying to go to California but you've only done aways in Texas, or vice versa, then the programs are going to seriously question why you're even applying to them. And I've been told that the nationally recognized letter goes far in answering that question.

My two cents fwiw.

Shiner Bock to all!

On top of the things mentioned above (i.e. location, community vs. academic, quality of SLOR) I would really look at places you would really like to end up. I did a rotation at my #1 and really liked, and was well liked, by the people I worked with. I seriously doubt I would have even got an interview there had I not rotated at the program. Now whether I will match here or not is up to the NRMP gods, but I don't even think I'd have been considered were it not for doing an away.