How Did You Take Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jicee13

Reaction score
So I just need 2 more classes to complete my pre-med requirements. Physics II and Biochem. I'm working fulltime right now, so I'm only able to take night classes. It was easy for me to find a Physics II course since they have them at community colleges (I live in Dallas), but I can't find a Biochem course that would fit my schedule since they are only offered at universities.

Did you anyone else face this dilemma? Are there alternatives to how I could take Biochem? Maybe an online course?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few good online biochem courses I've come across - UNE (I've taken several classes there but not biochem) and I believe UCSD Extension. Probably some others out there. Just make sure the schools you want to apply to will take online classes - I did an entire degree online and it's coming back to punch me in the face now.

Reactions: 1 users
I took an evening biochemistry class at a 4-year university. Some do offer night classes, I also took my Organic sequence at night at the same university.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing it online through the University of Florida distance learning.

There are a few good online biochem courses I've come across - UNE (I've taken several classes there but not biochem) and I believe UCSD Extension. Probably some others out there. Just make sure the schools you want to apply to will take online classes - I did an entire degree online and it's coming back to punch me in the face now.
I took UNE's biochem. Enjoyed it. A lot of schools accept online Biochem and a lot also let you replace Orgo 2 with Biochem now which is great. Ask the admission office if they accept online prereqs--MSAR isn't always accurate.

I took UNE's biochem. Enjoyed it. A lot of schools accept online Biochem and a lot also let you replace Orgo 2 with Biochem now which is great. Ask the admission office if they accept online prereqs--MSAR isn't always accurate.
Yeah, it seems to be biochem that's usually the prereq they're OK with being online, if any. I'm probably going to take it with UNE online or UCSD Ext (half the price, not sure if it's any good, but I like the immuno class I'm taking there a lot). I've already got the coursework under my belt, but it isn't going to transfer as plain old biochem (1 semester was general/inorganic/organic and I also have nutritional biochem). Hoping to take the rest of what I have left (orgo x 2 and physics 2) at 4-year university nearby. UNE biochem doesn't have a lab, right?

So I just need 2 more classes to complete my pre-med requirements. Physics II and Biochem. I'm working fulltime right now, so I'm only able to take night classes. It was easy for me to find a Physics II course since they have them at community colleges (I live in Dallas), but I can't find a Biochem course that would fit my schedule since they are only offered at universities.

Did you anyone else face this dilemma? Are there alternatives to how I could take Biochem? Maybe an online course?

Hello, I'm a non-traditional student and in the same boat as you in a way. I've just completed Organic Chem I and Biochemistry online at Doane University and loved it. I'm in Orgo II for the their spring semester. The classes are 8-weeks and fast paced but the professor makes it manageable and is pretty flexible with deadlines if you communicate in advance. Regarding application and school pre-requisites I would suggest communicating directly with the schools that you plan to apply. Some accept online pre-requisites and others do not. The programs that I'm planning to apply and have spoken with - accept online biochemistry and other courses as long as the institution is regionally accreditation. I hope this helps and there is a seat in one of these programs for us. Be strong, resilient, positive and let's make it happen. Best of luck!