How did your AAMC Official practice test compare to your real MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody take the practice test by the AAMC and get a comparable score on real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most do but I have heard of cases where people did 5 to 10 points worse than their AAMC scored practice test which is really scary... I really wonder why that happens.

I think most do but I have heard of cases where people did 5 to 10 points worse than their AAMC scored practice test which is really scary... I really wonder why that happens.

if it is close 10 points lower, I think I would imagine it having something to do with nervousness or some extraneous factor. Because that does seem extreme

Members don't see this ad :)
if it is close 10 points lower, I think I would imagine it having something to do with nervousness or some extrenuous factor. Because that does seem extreme

More rare but I have also heard people doing 5 to 10 points better than their scored. I guess there is certainly a luck factor to this test.

I scored a 515 on practice and a 507 on the real one... I felt the same on both of them though --- but CARS (123) compared to 127 on AAMC and Psych 126 -- AAMC 130

AAMC Scored: 520 (130,131,130,129)

Real results: 520 (130,130,130,130)
So it was 100% correct
I took it the same week as the test

I studied closely with another friend and we both did Kaplan prep course. We had similar scores for Kaplan practice exams. We took the scored AAMC week before.

I scored 514 on practice and 510 on actual.

He scored 511 on practice and 516 on actual.

I think the exam has so much information it can vary exam to exam depending on numerous factors.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

514 (128/126/131/129) practice and 517 (129/127/132/129) real. There is a spreadsheet somewhere here that compares different practice tests to the real thing. I don't feel like searching for it, but you can find it somewhere around here or the MCAT forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored a 506 on the scored and significantly increased from that on the real thing. Let's just say I was stoked out of my mind. :banana: I do still think the scored is a good predictor though. In some cases it does the opposite, my MCAT study buddy was pulling 512+ on practice tests and scored a 503 on the real thing.. I think he had timing issues and jitters on test day though. That example is the most extreme I have seen

AAMC Scored: 513 - this was a little more than a week before actual exam

Actual MCAT: 519 - 6 points higher

It varies from person to person. I usually test well, and I think the added pressure on test day helped me perform to the best of my ability. However, this may have the opposite effect on some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same overall score on both (516), but I thought the actual exam was WAY harder than the scored FL. I left the exam thinking I got 510-512.

The AAMC Scored FL was my highest practice exam of all the ones I took, and I got a 507 on it. Five days later, I got a 514 on the actual test. My take-away was that the practice exams were great for practicing but not to pay much attention to them for diagnostics.

Reactions: 1 user
Took it 2 weeks before the real thing, scored 515

Actual score: 512 (pretty certain it's cause I blanked on my amino acid abbreviations tho)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Some of these discrepancies are seriously SO bizarre! Does anyone know if AAMC is releasing more practice tests in the fall?

I had a horrendous CARS on the scored, so I did 5 passages in 50 minutes leading up everyday. Also, my other low score was psych/soc so I watched all the P/S Khan Academy videos on 2X.

Result:
+3 CARS
+3 P/S

Other two points I increased in bio/biochem idk how I didn't really do anything

That's awesome! That is my goal score...
What materials did you use for CARs?

That's awesome! That is my goal score...
What materials did you use for CARs?
Now that I think about it, I studied for my biochem final between the scored and real, so that's probably where that improvement came from.

I used TPR, EK and KA for cars.

Reactions: 1 user
Consistently scored 34-36 (34 being my lowest) on practice exams. Got a 31 on the real MCAT... not to freak anyone out.