How did your Med School do on Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uofl2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.
I go to U of Louisville and we have historically scored at the national average, or just below/above. This year our class has an average score of 225. I think that is a great score for a school average, but I am not sure. It should be in the top half of all med schools, but is it in the top quarter/ or even better maybe? It is well beyond the standard error for the exam. Can we create a list of schools and their respective Step 1 average for this year? Thanks.

Step 1 Class Avg. for 2007

University of Louisville: 225

Members don't see this ad.

My school does admit that our scores are pretty much average, which isn't surprising considering we're a middle of the road state school with lower than average admissions statistics (incoming MCAT is ~29, GPA 3.7). From that latest data, it looks like 92% of the class of 2009 passed (pretty much in line with the national average). Our averages seem to be around 220 or so, and we generally have a bi-modal distribution with a clumping of high scores at the top and not so great scores closer to the bottom.

For some odd reason, my school only releases data about the 2 digit score. For the 2009 people, 22.5% scored a 99. 40.8% of the class made a 95 or higher (this includes the 99 scores). 57% of the class made below a 90.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% pass for the last few years, and last year was ~240 av according to rumors. I'm amazed that there are schools out there that actually admit to being average considering that every school I've ever heard claims to have a 230+.

No school will release an official number (thank goodness).

There are so many negatives to releasing those numbers. Just run your own race, do your best - and don't worry about whether the rest of the pack is in front or in back of you.

Does the triple digit number system work like the MCAT in that the mean score is generally the same? For the MCAT, the test is curved somewhat and the mean is always a 24. Does that mean the Step1 will always have a mean of 215, or can the average actually go up?

I emailed our registrar office, and they claim they won't have the stats on the step 1 takers of this year until March 2008. Don't quite understand that, but whatever.

I emailed our registrar office, and they claim they won't have the stats on the step 1 takers of this year until March 2008. Don't quite understand that, but whatever.

I know of 2 people who took it in August... no idea why it'll take until March to figure out the stats.

I'm gonna go with "above average" since our class is so smart. ;)

I know of 2 people who took it in August... no idea why it'll take until March to figure out the stats.

I'm gonna go with "above average" since our class is so smart. ;)

i actually still have to take it. apparently, I accidentally took the Divorce Financial Analyst exam instead. Happily, i passed that and I should be set for a career in case I fail the boards when i take them.

i actually still have to take it. apparently, I accidentally took the Divorce Financial Analyst exam instead. Happily, i passed that and I should be set for a career in case I fail the boards when i take them.

Ooooohhh... YOU'RE the one holding up the class. I bet you're purposely not taking them to make everyone else as miserable as you are, (by the looks of your signature).

And here I was thinking you got the top score.

Ooooohhh... YOU'RE the one holding up the class. I bet you're purposely not taking them to make everyone else as miserable as you are, (by the looks of your signature).

And here I was thinking you got the top score.

here's to hoping that "winging it" will get me a 270 or higher!