How did you're fall semester go?

Started by JTMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Damn dude 2 years is a longggg time...but ya it's annoying as well haha
I know I know, but it was just a weird situation. Neither of us were really in the position to be dating at the time, so I thought I'd just wait it out........and I guess I waited about 3 months too long. I'm pretty confident that she'll break up with the other guy though. Maybe I need to go on Dr. Phil.

+pity+
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welp, getting my first A- in a rly easy class because one assignment a TA graded (essay) was rather low because they wanted a very specific structure to an essay and didnt inform the class. I got a 92 instead of the 93 needed for an A with a 99 and a 97 on both exams. I'm not stressed because it's one fricking A- on my 3.99 but you have to love arbitrary grade swings.
 
Welp, getting my first A- in a rly easy class because one assignment a TA graded (essay) was rather low because they wanted a very specific structure to an essay and didnt inform the class. I got a 92 instead of the 93 needed for an A with a 99 and a 97 on both exams. I'm not stressed because it's one fricking A- on my 3.99 but you have to love arbitrary grade swings.
Seriously?you are letting this go? Go stab that grad student!!!
 
Seriously?you are letting this go? Go stab that grad student!!!

I went to talk to him about my argument. He conceded that my argument was fine but I didnt follow the structure they wanted. I was like ???. Didnt think it would matter because I got a 99 on one exam but then second exam came and it was 97 lol. It's a core class, thought I could pull off two 99s. RIP. Oh well, it's an A in Texas y'all!
 
I went to talk to him about my argument. He conceded that my argument was fine but I didnt follow the structure they wanted. I was like ???. Didnt think it would matter because I got a 99 on one exam but then second exam came and it was 97 lol. It's a core class, thought I could pull off two 99s. RIP. Oh well, it's an A in Texas y'all!
This happened to me in one of my core classes. I don't know what is your GPA and how it'll affect you, but it is definitely not worth the minus for not following "instructions" I swear some of those humanities professors are angry at life and they are taking it on us!
 
This happened to me in one of my core classes. I don't know what is your GPA and how it'll affect you, but it is definitely not worth the minus for not following "instructions" I swear some of those humanities professors are angry at life and they are taking it on us!

It really has no effect on my gpa lol. Especially since I'll probably be staying in Texas and an A- still counts as an A for TMDAS. In my case the prof has nothing to do with it. I loved the class actually, it was very interesting while being very, very easy. Just this TA....
 
My semester was decent. 3.6, I got a B in ochem 2, not the end of the world I guess. Definitely room for improvement.
 
Welp, getting my first A- in a rly easy class because one assignment a TA graded (essay) was rather low because they wanted a very specific structure to an essay and didnt inform the class. I got a 92 instead of the 93 needed for an A with a 99 and a 97 on both exams. I'm not stressed because it's one fricking A- on my 3.99 but you have to love arbitrary grade swings.

Ugh, I've had that happen. Some TA's are just a pain for no good reason. I had one that would consistently give me B's on labs with nothing marked wrong. When I asked him about it, he would mumble something really vague about format or structure. I let it go, because I wasn't pre-med at the time, but if I could do it again I would have sure as heck fought for that A.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you guys know your grades already? My semester grades aren't posted until the first week of January🙁
 
A's and B's for me. Got all my math classes done, so I can take pretty much whatever the hell I want now. (Which will be pre-med requirements. Le sigh for Orgo II...)

Really, @Pusheen? I start my Spring semester January 8th. o.o
 
@Conflagration I start spring semester the last week of January. I never knew that was unusual. We end the last week of May.

Good luck on Orgo 2 (or ochem as we call it on the west coast).
 
@Conflagration I start spring semester the last week of January. I never knew that was unusual. We end the last week of May.

Good luck on Orgo 2 (or ochem as we call it on the west coast).

My college ends the spring semester on the last week of April. :3
 
just finished P. Chem and Prokaryote lab along with a few other classes and my research.
I am done with my Biology major now and will have only two classes to take next semester for my Biochem major, and write my senior thesis and defend. So my final semester will be my easiest.
 
It was great! Kept my 4.0 and now have junior hours! Also 150 hours of volunteering and around 80 hours of shadowing! Can't wait till the spring semester! 🙂
 
Made a B in biochemistry, which surprised me. My test scores were all C's but the final I made an A, which somehow pulled me over?
My organic synthesis research PI gave me a B for the research credits I got, which pissed me off because " earned an A for this semester" (her words not mine.)
Made a B+ in one neuro class (not surprised, the final was brutal), but I was really hoping for an A-. Made an A- in my other neuro class, which got me a spot in neuroscience research.
Made an A in French (6 credits)

Overall: 3.5 GPA for the semester, which brought me up to a 3.21 cGPA (on an upward trend; MDD killed my GPA sophomore year.)
 
Started working in a new lab and had to get caught up with all the literature and all the assays, so I ended up spending a lot of time on that. Also, applied to and got nominated by my school for the Goldwater scholarship, which took up a long time in terms of research proposal writing and literature reading, not to mention the scramble to keep up with my schedule and coordinate with LOR writers. Took the MCAT in early September and sadly got 4 points below my AAMC average, but still a decent score I guess 🙁. Dropped my history class to accommodate a retake a week after my MCAT score was released, which I ended up canceling anyways because I wasn't going to risk a lower score. Started sitting in the back of class and fell asleep a lot so I needed to put in a lot of time outside class, but this ended up being my best academic term. And started a good relationship with one of my professors and will be a student TA for her next term. 🙂

But I found a lot of grey hairs this winter break too...:hungover:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just finished Analytical chemistry lab last week. Seriously the WORST class I've ever taken, and am ecstatic that it's over. So far I've almost aced every exam and quiz in lecture, but there's a very good chance I'll get a B+ in the class because of the lab. I've said it all semester and I'll say it again, F*** ACHEM LAB.

Update: Somehow pulled 100%'s on the last two labs of the semester, killed the final, and ended up with an A in the class and a 4.0 for the semester, whatttttttssss upppp!!


No idea how that happened, still hate Achem lab.
 
4.0 for me. I had Physics, Organic I, and Physiology this semester with labs. My school doesn't have plus/minus grading, so needed a 90 for an A. Made it by the skin of my teeth though with two overall scores just north of 89.5 that got bumped up :soexcited:
 
First semester ever and finished with 4.3 cGPA (Canada grades on A+ scale) taking bio, Chem + lab, physics + lab, calculus, and sociology. Started working in a research lab that studies frog mating call acoustics, but hoping to transfer to a drug discovery lab next semester now that I have research experience. Also played on the uni 's rugby team and worked part time for campus security.

Overall a good start, I think 🙂
 
Last edited:
Ended with a 4.0! And only taking 1 last class in the spring to finish up. This semester will cap off my huge upward trend from below a 3 to just under a XXX. it was a busy semester with genetics + ochem 2 and lots of tutoring and MCAT studying and volunteering so I was thrilled. Now I just hope i am as happy with my MCAT on XXXX :nailbiting:
I hope everyone who has to wait on grades is still having a fun break! maybe it's a TX thing but we also had grades 2 days after finals ended and i would hate having to wait, but I guess it's good practice for waiting on MCAT scores lol
 
Last edited:
Turns out I was wrong, I looked it up and it is two days after finals end. Still very fast and I've never had a final on the last day anyway.
My school requires that professors post final grades the Monday after finals, which isn't a bad turnaround for an engineering grade. All those final projects and then they have to grade them all by hand. God bless them.
 
Two weeks since my last final and I haven't gotten a single grade yet, even for classes where my last assignment was almost a month ago. All of my professors are totally procrastinating. Professors- they're just like us!
 
Ended with a 4.0! And only taking 1 last class in the spring to finish up. This semester will cap off my huge upward trend from below a 3 to just under a 3.6. it was a busy semester with genetics + ochem 2 and lots of tutoring and MCAT studying and volunteering so I was thrilled. Now I just hope i am as happy with my MCAT on 1/23 :nailbiting:
I hope everyone who has to wait on grades is still having a fun break! maybe it's a TX thing but we also had grades 2 days after finals ended and i would hate having to wait, but I guess it's good practice for waiting on MCAT scores lol
Tutoring in terms of you had to tutor a lot of people or you went to a lot of tutors for help?
 
Did pretty well, ended up with 2 A's, an A- and a Pass in a GE. Was on the B+/A- border for neurobiology so glad I pulled off the A-. Studying for the MCAT over winter break is incredibly annoying though -__-
 
Got a A- in biochem I. 🙁 sad because I was sure I was going to get an A after practically killing myself in that class
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that all of my grades are finally uploaded (after 3 long weeks) this thread is dead lol. Took the two hardest upper-level classes in my bio major simultaneously and managed to get an A in both...but then I somehow got a B+ in neurobiology lab. Worked so hard this semester only to get a B in the class that shouldn't have been an issue *sigh*. Oh well got a 3.9 which is my best semester yet despite it being one of my hardest. Hoping to finally get that 4.0 next semester.
 
My semester was awesome. I studied abroad in Chile, so I basically spent five months traveling around South America and pretending that I wasn't pre-med. No volunteering, no extracurriculars, no difficult classes, not caring about grades because they were all P/F.... It was amazing. But now...I have to go back to Cleveland, Ohio and find a job, start studying for the MCAT, and take biochem. This is gonna suck.
 
My semester was awesome. I studied abroad in Chile, so I basically spent five months traveling around South America and pretending that I wasn't pre-med. No volunteering, no extracurriculars, no difficult classes, not caring about grades because they were all P/F.... It was amazing. But now...I have to go back to Cleveland, Ohio and find a job, start studying for the MCAT, and take biochem. This is gonna suck.
That's so beautiful man!