How difficult are the math questions on Naplex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaykay

Rookie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using APha book and there are some difficult questions like freezing point, and more detailed questions on mEq and isotonicity.........so were the questions on the actual naplex this hard?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using APha book and there are some difficult questions like freezing point, and more detailed questions on mEq and isotonicity.........so were the questions on the actual naplex this hard?

Many of the questions were tough. I suggest supplementing the APhA math chapter with notes from your calculations course and resolving homework, quiz, and test problems. That's what I did. A few were still tricky even after all that studying, but, for the most part, I felt confident.

I just took it this morning. I don't think the APhA book was a good resource. RxPrep and Kaplan was way too easy. The best way for you to prepare is to do the 120 questions that are floating around here. And honestly, that packet is a tester, if you can do that, you're pretty much set.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Naplex yesterday and got about 20-30 questions on math. The majority was doable. I was stumped on one math question about medication in mg/ml and completely guessed on it. Also, there was one question that took me 15 minutes to answer. At first I was completely clueless but I refused to move on until I figure it out and I did, I think. Overall, I was able to tackle each math question within 2 minutes and felt comfortable with my answers. It's either that or I was getting tired of the questions and just wanted to get them over with.

I practiced the 120 math question that was floating around on here twice and thought it prepared me well for the math section.

My favorite equation that helped me a lot on the exam was mEq = (wt of molecule in mg X valence)/MW in mg/mmol

Thank you very much to those who posted the 120 math questions!! I couldn't have done it as fast and accurately had I not practice.

Let me know if you have other questions about the NAPLEX that I can share. Just returning the awesome favor that you guys on this forum have given me in preparing for the Naplex :)

You pharm people rock!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The math on the test blew my mind. Got A's all through school and undergrad in math and kinetics. Could easily solve every problem in the APHA review book. Studied other math resources extensively. Got around 40 math questions, some of them to this day still have no idea how to solve. Tried alligation, algebra method, etc. Still passed with a pretty good score but think most of the questions I missed were the math ones. And yes there are isontonicity, mEq, alligation questions on the test.

I figured that I would answer my questions on here since others may have similar questions too.

Q: If you don't mind me asking, what all resources did you use to prepare for the math. I did APha and the 120 questions (I plan on doing that again before the text next week
clip_image001.gif
)
- I used 3 sources: first I used APha, did all the questions in the math chapter, then I switched to RxPrep bc APhA was too detailed, and then practiced the 120 math questions once very thoroughly, then re-practiced doing it the second time with a stopwatch as if it was a real exam in chunks of 40 questions per session.

Q: I think my weakest problem in math are the dilutions/concentrations. I can do mEq, mmol/mosm and isotonicity/tpn/alligation.
- I recall having to do at least 5-8 questions on dilutions and concentrations with one I completely guessed on L. Yes, meq, mmol,mosm, isotonicity, tpn, and alligations were all on there.

Q: Just worried about certain parts like I wouldn't have known aminophylline was 80% theophylline if I hadn't done that packet.
- Yes, I had one question regarding this switching from theophylline to aminophylline I think. But that's all you need to know is that aminophylline has 80% theophylline and you will be able to solve the problem.

Q: Thanks for your post...are you good at math?
- math was my strongest when I was taking the PCAT. But I am the kind who would have to have seen the problem, practice it in order to get it right. If I have never practiced anything similar or related I'd be stumped, like that concentration problem that I am still thinking about.

Q: Were all the questions difficult? And did you get anything on calculating mmol cause I am still having some issues with that..
- Most of the questions were very similar to the 120-question one, so no it wasn't but yes it would be if you didn't have the practice. I think practice helped me have a systematic way of approaching it without doubting myself.
- Yes, know mmol and mosm like the back of your hand!! It will most likely be on the Naplex.

And last but not least, here's the 120 math questions for those who are looking for it.

Don't worry too much about the Naplex, just give it your best shot and your hard work will be rewarded. I hope this eases the anxiety a bit… "It is estimated that, to earn a score of 75, one must answer approximately 60% of the questions correctly." http://www.uspharmacist.co​m/content/s/57/c/12384/

Good luck to you guys! And share with us your experience.

Last edited: