How do Canadian dentists practice in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elephantdds

Reaction score
Canadian dentist trying to relocate to NJ. I'll try to keep it brief and easy to follow. From what I've researched, what I understand is:

• to work as a dentist, I need a NJ dentist license. I have done the exams. Application + licensure on average takes several months. I believe a SSN is required.
  • to live legally in USA, I need a TN visa. I can get this at the border/port of entry with my documents and a job offer letter. However, if I apply for the visa more than 10 days before my job start date, it will be denied.
  • to get paid for work, open a bank account, and get the license, I need a SSN. It can't be applied for online or even in advance, only when I am in the country.
I just can't see a logical sequence for getting these items. When I get the visa at the border, I'll be 10 or fewer days out from my job start date. Once in the US, I can apply for the SSN, a process which takes weeks. But without the SSN, I can't get my license or work, so I can't actually start my job on the day I told Border Patrol that I would. And all this is assuming anyone would even offer me a job without being licensed to work in NJ.
Anyone have experience with obtaining a professional license alongside work visa/SSN or can figure out this very circular arrangement?

I've already contacted NJ dental board by phone and email multiple times with no response (and their Google reviews suggest that it isn't just me).

Members don't see this ad.

I would post your question in the international dentist forum.

Last edited:
Canadian dentist trying to relocate to NJ. I'll try to keep it brief and easy to follow. From what I've researched, what I understand is:

• to work as a dentist, I need a NJ dentist license. I have done the exams. Application + licensure on average takes several months. I believe a SSN is required.
  • to live legally in USA, I need a TN visa. I can get this at the border/port of entry with my documents and a job offer letter. However, if I apply for the visa more than 10 days before my job start date, it will be denied.
  • to get paid for work, open a bank account, and get the license, I need a SSN. It can't be applied for online or even in advance, only when I am in the country.
I just can't see a logical sequence for getting these items. When I get the visa at the border, I'll be 10 or fewer days out from my job start date. Once in the US, I can apply for the SSN, a process which takes weeks. But without the SSN, I can't get my license or work, so I can't actually start my job on the day I told Border Patrol that I would. And all this is assuming anyone would even offer me a job without being licensed to work in NJ.
Anyone have experience with obtaining a professional license alongside work visa/SSN or can figure out this very circular arrangement?

I've already contacted NJ dental board by phone and email multiple times with no response (and their Google reviews suggest that it isn't just me).
Get an account with TD bank. You dont need an SSN for an account and if you need a credit card they can use your canadian credit for that application (not sure if other banks allow you to do that). Also you dont need an SSN for a license. If you are referring to NPI you need to provide them an SSN within 6 months (you file the application manually).
See here: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som...o not submit,passport, or a birth certificate.

Youre not the first person who has been through this process and you wont be the last. There is always a way to figure it out. Just call the necessary parties.

Reactions: 1 user

So when you apply for SSN, they give you a receipt number. You can show that receipt number to your employer for i9 verification and start your work. Physical SSN is not needed; you can update the SSN number as soon as you have it.

Getting SSN: Each state work a little differently. I got the SSN thing done 6 years ago. They had walk-ins and appointment basis (but that was pre-covid and a different state). Opening a bank account is easy, like the other person said, TD bank has locations in both Canada and USA, so that can be a good place to open an account at. You can also try other banks, many offer bonuses if a certain amount of direct deposit is made in a checking account, which will be easy as you will be working once in the USA.

The paperwork initially does seem overwhelming, but once you start, everything will fall into place. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user