How do/did you guys prepare for Multiple Mini Interviews?

Started by kdonalds
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kdonalds

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
Just wondering how you guys prepare for Multiple Mini Interviews. I am hoping I get one for OVC this year (my in province school) and want to ace it. Last year I studied from the book "An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics" by Rollins and I did do really well in my interview but it combined with my grades put me JUST under the cut off. For this application I went back for a non degree semester and increased my Pre req average to 86.75 (from 81.5 last year) and my Last 2 semester average to 88.8 (from 84.7 last year) so a large improvement in my grades, however it is crucial I do just as well or better on my interview this year as last year (score of 77.5 last year). So what books/websites/tools do you guys use to prepare? I want to start preparing now so I can do well.
Thanks!
 
I looked up sample MMI questions from med schools and practiced a few of them while adhering to the allotted time (2 mins to write, 8 mins to talk). I also read the CVMA animal welfare position statements. You did quite well last year and your interview score was well above the mean, I'm sure you will do well if you prepare for it like you did last time. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used Rollin's book as well. Also at each of our pre-vet club meetings we would go online and look up one of the ethical questions from the CVMA journal and discuss it as a group. It was really helpful to hear everyone else's perspectives, and I always wound up seeing things from sides I never would have considered.
 
I have a friend who interviewed twice at OVC and got in on his second try. He actually recommended the Rollins book to me for my MMI's. He also made a point to mention that although he got in on his second try, a professor remembered him some years later because he was known as the applicant who was chewing gum during his interview. Might seem like a no-brainer, but just a reminder that you can prepare all you want, but something as small as an untucked shirt or chewing gum might put your interviewers off.
 
Here's a video of one.

I'm kinda curious to find out which schools have interviewers that actually interact with the applicant during the spiel. My friend said she finished a question early at Oregon State, and had about 2 minutes of silence. Also, can we talk about how 9.9/10 times, this girl would not have paid for her friend's gym membership? I feel that you'd get points off for saying something so unrealistic just to look like a good candidate....lol
 
pink puppy I saw that video last year when I was preparing lol I have to agree that normally a person wouldn't pay for a gym membership for a friend but I do like to believe there are some good kind hearted people still out there and there is a small chance. Thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them coming!
 
pink puppy I saw that video last year when I was preparing lol I have to agree that normally a person wouldn't pay for a gym membership for a friend but I do like to believe there are some good kind hearted people still out there and there is a small chance. Thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them coming!
True. A good friend with a happy bank account would most likely foot the cost, although I can't imagine someone every being truly happy to do that when there are FREE alternatives to gyms (running/jogging with the kid in a stroller). You can also get several DVDs and basic equipment for around $50 at Walmart.

But asking a pre-vet/med student what they would do, I'm shocked she didn't say something like "I myself might not be able to financially assist my friend, but I will help her look for affordable options." That's why I think she basically gave them an answer that makes her look like an angel. Plus, my best friend would never in a million years be okay with me paying for anything haha.
 
Here's a video of one.

I'm kinda curious to find out which schools have interviewers that actually interact with the applicant during the spiel. My friend said she finished a question early at Oregon State, and had about 2 minutes of silence. Also, can we talk about how 9.9/10 times, this girl would not have paid for her friend's gym membership? I feel that you'd get points off for saying something so unrealistic just to look like a good candidate....lol

Thanks for posting this. I feel like 8 minutes is a loooong time to cover this topic. I guess I prefer to speak more succinctly. I may have to practice this for my interview or I will be facing minutes of silence for every question 😕
 
Long silences aren't a bad thing when it comes to MMI as long as you have addressed all of the points that they want you to get at. Most schools are judging you on your ethics, empathy, cultural competence, and ability to think critically about your own/other's actions. As long as you practice looking at MMI prompts and approaching them from many angles to demonstrate that you possess these qualities, you can be shorter than 8 minutes.

I know that when I was actually in the MMI it was not just us sitting down and talking for 8 minutes, there were generally about 3 questions that they would ask to follow up, so it was much easier to fill all of the time. The trick then was to make sure that you leave enough time for all 3 follow up questions.
 
Thanks for posting this. I feel like 8 minutes is a loooong time to cover this topic. I guess I prefer to speak more succinctly. I may have to practice this for my interview or I will be facing minutes of silence for every question 😕
I'm a very to-the-point person as well. Usually you're being told to cut the fluff, not to be overly-detailed. I suppose the point is to see your thought process, so you are actually talking about how you get to your answer. That will definitely eat up time.

Also, depending on the school, part of the 8 minutes might be a few minutes given to you to read the question and form your answer.
Long silences aren't a bad thing when it comes to MMI as long as you have addressed all of the points that they want you to get at. Most schools are judging you on your ethics, empathy, cultural competence, and ability to think critically about your own/other's actions. As long as you practice looking at MMI prompts and approaching them from many angles to demonstrate that you possess these qualities, you can be shorter than 8 minutes.

I know that when I was actually in the MMI it was not just us sitting down and talking for 8 minutes, there were generally about 3 questions that they would ask to follow up, so it was much easier to fill all of the time. The trick then was to make sure that you leave enough time for all 3 follow up questions.
Do all schools do this? I've asked around and some schools really do not allow any interaction between the applicant and interviewers.
 
Do all schools do this? I've asked around and some schools really do not allow any interaction between the applicant and interviewers.

I interviewed at two schools using MMI and each had follow up questions, but you were not allowed to interact with the interviewer beyond the extra questions. Some interviewers broke that rule and just chatted with me, and some just tried to look intimidating haha.

Overall MMI is actually pretty fun! really just be yourself, talk through your thought process, and be able to understand/articulate many different viewpoints.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
I interviewed at two schools using MMI and each had follow up questions, but you were not allowed to interact with the interviewer beyond the extra questions. Some interviewers broke that rule and just chatted with me, and some just tried to look intimidating haha.

Overall MMI is actually pretty fun! really just be yourself, talk through your thought process, and be able to understand/articulate many different viewpoints.
Trying to breathe!! I'm so glad that most everyone on here has had a positive experience with MMIs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad