How do feeder schools work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddhm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of the schools im interested in is tufts. it being a large private school, i thought all applicants, regardless of residency or school attended, had equal footing.

but their website lists some feeder schools from which a large proportion of their incoming class is selected every year. so now it seems that some applicants are given priority over others.

i know that UofP also has a group of feeder schools they like to select people from.

that's all good and fine, i guess. if that's the way it is. but im just wondering if dental schools have some sort of formal arrangement established with their feeder schools. say eg, a quota system of sorts? maybe pacific has agreed to select a minimum number of applicants from a certain feeder school every year?

or is it just that a school's reputation is particularly strong in the undergrad schools in their surrounding region, so students from these schools just end up accepting offers at their nearby dental school in higher rates?

and reciprocally, dental schools are more familiar with and confident about the curriculums of particular undergrad schools near to them. then that's why offers would go out in higher rates to students from those schools?

has anyone gained any insight into why schools keep feeder schools from adcoms during interviews, or maybe from recruiting presentations?

im asking this just mostly out of curiousity. i suppose schools will always simply accept who they accept.

Members don't see this ad.