Medical How do I address goals in personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a question about my PS with regard to whether I should mention what my tentative future goals are.

I am from the central valley in CA and as you probably know, it is very underserved. I am a 1st gen immigrant and I think I would like to one day practice here (goal is to get in med school first ofc). I am thinking of making my app geared toward this as my ECs are all local.

My question is, should I mention this in my personal statement? It is a very underserved area and fits with UCDs mission, or at least some of it, but I don't know if any other schools will "like" that I want to go to their state just for med school then peace back to CA. Of course I'm not dead set on CV life yet as I want to keep an open mind.

It would be along the lines of "one day I'd like to practice here in the central valley", perhaps in FM/IM although it's way to early to make that decision.

I also realize the challenge of getting into med school as a CA ORM and much of my school list would likely be OOS privates. I also have family in the midwest so I was thinking of applying to that particular state's public too, since I could realistically see myself living or practicing there. Would I be handicapping myself in mentioning that I want to stay in the CV? Am I overthinking this? I feel like UCD is the only school that would even be receptive to serving the CV and other OOS schools shutting me down real quick.

The alternative is to mention that I want to do FM/IM and practice somewhere underserved, which reflects my service and then on CA secondaries be more specific about location, but seems generic. I really don't mind going OOS but I feel like the narrative of my app is going to be local service.

Thank You.
Have you walked the walk and proven your interest in service to this area? That goes a lot farther than simply talking The Talk.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked with your prehealth advisors and anyone in the medical school at UCD? As an undergraduate, have you been able to volunteer for any community service opportunities that medical students or interprofessional teams take part in that happen to be in the central CA valley? Case in point: what can you add from personal experience: VIDEO: Bus tour connects UC Davis Health with Central Valley communities, gains national recognition ?

I would be very strategic in how I mention your desires to return to central California, since it would resonate most with UCD and scare practically all other schools away if you put it in your AMCAS PS. Secondary/school-specific essays are meant for that purpose.

I have some extracurriculars geared toward central valley service as well as my undergrad which I did in the CV. I feel that I have served my community and addressed some local issues. Of course I am not banking on it to get into med school but I want to convey a narrative that will leave my options open above all else

Then you're good to mention your desire to practice in this region

When you say interest in this area, do you mean volunteering (shelter/hospice/soup kitchen/etc) in the area or doing things specific to the area like politics related? For example, addressing environmental injustices or the sort?

I mean the geographic area of your stated interest.

I'll be a bit more transparent. Basically I did homeless shelter, meals on wheels, tutored my high school, and now volunteer at a drug rehab center (personal issue I really care about) and hospice and continue tutoring. I've been fortunate to get a prestigious award for tutoring as well. I also did civic engagement/non profit work in the community (and local school districts) and have been recognized in local news and academic publishing.

So you're saying I could list "I want to come back to the central valley and do primary care" and it won't hurt my OOS chances? I feel like @Mr.Smile12 said the opposite.

Really appreciate the help from you both by the way, it means a lot!
Ok, that's a different take. Save it for CA school secondaries

Sounds great, thanks! I will end my PS with something along the lines of "I wish to continue to serve..."

I think I may have to ask my letter writers if they wrote anything about it though since they read an earlier draft of my PS

Did any of your references comment on how "central-valley focused" 'your personal statement was in giving your PS feedback?

Your volunteer work can hopefully be done in a lot of places around the country, even though you may be more familiar with the cultural context of the central valley, especially along the west coast states. You can be proud of what you did and be a good candidate for similar programs run by other medical schools/interprofessional academic health programs. A food kitchen in Sacramento isn't really that much different than a food kitchen in (say for example) Tulsa. We have "meals on wheels" programs in the east coast states too. Volunteer at a drug rehab center in West Virginia as I'm guess the responsibilities aren't much different from what you've done. It will be generally obvious based on the places you have been that you have an affinity to go to places where you are familiar. The question is whether you have the courage to want to go someplace where you've never been and expand your mind to more of the health and societal challenges many other people face... that answer is up to you and what you are valuing in the school where you will attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.