How do I apply to PM & R?

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by LuckyCharms83, Dec 15, 2008.

1. LuckyCharms83

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok bear with me... I don't really know much about how the match applying to residencies work but...

I am interested in applying to PM&R and I don't understand how the whole process works. From what I understand is you apply for a traditional rotating internship first year and then apply to PM&R. So you would apply to PM&R programs while you're in your internship year...this sounds a little unsettling to me considering that PM&R is a little competitive. What if you don't get in? Would a year in internal medicine or family medicine qualify for your intern year in PM&R if you were to switch?

Do any programs include intern year if you match to their PM&R program?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

2. PMR 4 MSK

PMR 4 MSK Large Member
    SDN Advisor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    PM&R starts PGY-2. You apply for internship (PGY-1) at the same time - can be IM, surgery or transitional. Some programs offer PGY-1 at their institution, some are done as part of the PM&R program, some you apply to seperately. Each residency program will have that information available as it applies to them.

For most residency programs (advanced - start PGY-2), you submit a rank order list of programs in the order you'd like, and a supplemental list of PGY-1 programs under it - they can be in a different order for each program. If they have their own PGY-1 (categorical), you do not submit a supplemental list for that program.

IM counts for PGY-1, TRAMD got a year of FP to work for him (several threads address that), but his case was unique. Do a transitional year if you can, but they tend to be very competitive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ludicolo

Ludicolo Fib Hunter
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What PMR4MSK said.

Sounds like you're a DO student. The DO traditional rotating internship is essentially your prelim year in this case. Most, if not all, allopathic advanced PM&R programs will accept the DO internship as a prelim year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. phoenix0610

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is anyone else enjoying your random Christmas references? Just wondering...:D

5. Ludicolo

Ludicolo Fib Hunter
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's the most wonderful time of the year. ;)