How do I apply to PM & R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyCharms83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok bear with me... I don't really know much about how the match applying to residencies work but...

I am interested in applying to PM&R and I don't understand how the whole process works. From what I understand is you apply for a traditional rotating internship first year and then apply to PM&R. So you would apply to PM&R programs while you're in your internship year...this sounds a little unsettling to me considering that PM&R is a little competitive. What if you don't get in? Would a year in internal medicine or family medicine qualify for your intern year in PM&R if you were to switch?

Do any programs include intern year if you match to their PM&R program?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok bear with me... I don't really know much about how the match applying to residencies work but...

I am interested in applying to PM&R and I don't understand how the whole process works. From what I understand is you apply for a traditional rotating internship first year and then apply to PM&R. So you would apply to PM&R programs while you're in your internship year...this sounds a little unsettling to me considering that PM&R is a little competitive. What if you don't get in? Would a year in internal medicine or family medicine qualify for your intern year in PM&R if you were to switch?

Do any programs include intern year if you match to their PM&R program?

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

PM&R starts PGY-2. You apply for internship (PGY-1) at the same time - can be IM, surgery or transitional. Some programs offer PGY-1 at their institution, some are done as part of the PM&R program, some you apply to seperately. Each residency program will have that information available as it applies to them.

For most residency programs (advanced - start PGY-2), you submit a rank order list of programs in the order you'd like, and a supplemental list of PGY-1 programs under it - they can be in a different order for each program. If they have their own PGY-1 (categorical), you do not submit a supplemental list for that program.

IM counts for PGY-1, TRAMD got a year of FP to work for him (several threads address that), but his case was unique. Do a transitional year if you can, but they tend to be very competitive.

What PMR4MSK said.

Sounds like you're a DO student. The DO traditional rotating internship is essentially your prelim year in this case. Most, if not all, allopathic advanced PM&R programs will accept the DO internship as a prelim year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What PMR4MSK said.

Sounds like you're a DO student. The DO traditional rotating internship is essentially your prelim year in this case. Most, if not all, allopathic advanced PM&R programs will accept the DO internship as a prelim year.

Is anyone else enjoying your random Christmas references? Just wondering...:D