How do I become an all animal vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timberwolf89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to be a vet that treats ALL animals. I want to be a vet in Alaska and I want to be able to treat all animals even mink, caribou, bears, wolves and other animals that normal vets don't like even lynx and other animals I just don't know what kind of vet this is considered, so I can research it thoroughly. I have tried but to no avail, it only comes up with zoo vets and I don't want that I just like want an all animal clinic/hospital.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Go to vet school, learn everything you can about as much as you can, get lots of experience with lots of different animals, shadow, internships, externships, etc.

It's not that "normal vets" don't like those more unique animals, but their experience is usually limited if they work with cats and dogs primarily. I worked for a vet that did all the work for our local wildlife center pro bono, so she got to work with birds of prey, foxes, bobcats, and so on. She wasn't a specified "all animal vet", but she was what she wanted to be and got to work with the animals she wanted to work with... because she worked hard and spent a lot of her free time learning about/researching the animals she was working on.

Also, as a mixed animal vet, trust me when I say that it's really really difficult to do all those species and do them well. It's very mentally taxing and something you only get good at over a long career. Also keep in mind that you'll probably be sacrificing depth for breadth.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to be the realistic one and say that really just doesn't exist outside of a zoo or wildlife rehab facility.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm just going to be the realistic one and say that really just doesn't exist outside of a zoo or wildlife rehab facility.
Quoted for truth. Other option is living in the middle of butt**** nowhere where you're the only vet for miles and you won't be able to make a living unless you're independently wealthy.

So what kind of vet do you think would be best for me? like more exotic animals like reptiles but not limited only to them ya know

Then try to get some actual experience before you set your brain to a path. Find a local mixed animal vet and shadow. Find a wildlife vet and shadow. Find a specialty vet and shadow. Seeing a pattern? You have no idea what you want right now. And keep an open mind. The market may not support you doing exactly what you want in the future so if you're dead set on doing x and only x, you may be disappointed.

Reactions: 9 users
So what kind of vet do you think would be best for me? like more exotic animals like reptiles but not limited only to them ya know

Well. Based on what you're saying, a rehab vet somewhere that has the species of animals you like would probably give you the most variety. But a whole lotta caveats:

1) What @Coquette22 said. Doubled and dittoed. A lot of things sound nice, but aren't.

2) The rehab vets I know love their jobs. But full-time rehab vet jobs that pay a livable salary (especially given today's average debt) are few and far between. Someone has to fill those positions, but ... a lot of people who want to fill those positions won't get to. So you need a backup plan if your long-term vet goal is "wildlife rehab vet."

3) If you want to treat domesticated species also, then you'd do some relief work at someone else's hospital. Because what DVMD said is true - there really isn't a "treat all animals" facility. Not practically speaking.

4) Even wildlife rehab vets don't get to treat <everything>. There are usually state laws restricting which species can be treated / rehab'd, or special licenses needed for certain species, or financial limitations that just make it impractical, or .....

5) Zoo vet might be a better option for you. But those jobs are few and far between as well, and lots of people want them.

I don't know how old you are (i.e. how far along in your schooling you are), but at some point you need to start getting an idea of what types of veterinary jobs are out there.

Reactions: 1 user
I really want to be a vet that treats ALL animals. I want to be a vet in Alaska and I want to be able to treat all animals even mink, caribou, bears, wolves and other animals that normal vets don't like even lynx and other animals I just don't know what kind of vet this is considered, so I can research it thoroughly. I have tried but to no avail, it only comes up with zoo vets and I don't want that I just like want an all animal clinic/hospital.

Thanks
This sounds relatively similar to the life of a DNR/state wildlife vet, but don't forget the less glamorous side of the job: tons of paperwork, fielding a ton of phone calls from the general public, travel (especially in Alaska where travel is not a simple task), etc. Plus, a huge chunk, maybe even most, of their animal work is doing necropsies (which I think is awesome, but not everyone wants to be elbow deep in something dead every day). There's also a huge amount of public health and epidemiology involved with these types of jobs. I know the state wildlife vet for Maryland, and she tells me it's the best job she could have ever made for herself, but it's certainly not for everyone and I highly recommend you shadow first before telling yourself that it's your ultimate goal.

Wildlife Veterinarian Kimberlee Beckmen, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Edit: Also, just wanting to give you a dose of reality with this: American Assn. Of Wildlife Veterinarians - Jobs

I see a job for $30-35k, one $64k, and an post-DVM internship for $16k. I'd say the posting for $64k is pretty darn high for a wildlife vet's salary.

Last edited:
this honestly disgusts me
Yeah...unfortunately I don't see any positive changes in those numbers in the future given our current president. Anything wildlife related really is a thankless job, which is why so many people burn out (whether you're a DVM or a licensed rehabber).

Members don't see this ad :)
The wildlife rehabber I worked with pre-vet school also had a DVM and had just purchased her own clinic. She does small animal GP for her main source of profit but wildlife on her own time and dime as a side hobby sort of deal. She seemed like she was doing just fine financially, although she graduated her IS school (Kansas State) back in the 1990s so she didn't have the tremendous debtload a lot of today's veterinary students will,

I feel like unfortunately the only semi-reasonable way for most people to do wildlife medicine and be paid more than an absolute pittance is like this... working small animal or something more profitable at least part-time and then either working or volunteering with wildlife the rest of the time. There are exceptions, of course, but the majority of people I know who are hardcore wildlife medicine focused had to do it part-time getting paid very little or, worst case scenario, not at all.

I loved, loved, LOVED my time working with the DVM rehabber and I attained so many cool experiences helping to raise and assist with medical procedures on all sorts of different species (baby oppossums and raccoons <3), but I don't know that I could do it. Especially knowing the burnout rate of the wildlife field for both rehabbers and DVMs.

Zoo is a little bit better in terms of salary and overall satisfaction from what I've seen but, like what the other posters have already said, it's a cutthroat field and extremely competitive simply to even secure post-DVM training. A lot of people want to do zoo medicine, but there simply aren't enough spots for internship and residency, let alone actual jobs. Absolutely, some people make it... someone has to fill those positions, after all. But it's a long, tough road and those who are very serious about zoo medicine start getting experience and making connections early and they start HARD. It's as much (if not moreso) about who you know as it is what you know.

Anyway... it sounds like you don't know much about the profession in general and probably don't have any actual experience. I would highly recommend that you go out and get some hours shadowing with a veterinarian to see if you even enjoy it before you commit to this path. It's a lot of education and it's extremely expensive to earn a DVM in relation to current salary trends, especially if you have to pay for undergrad on top and/or go to vet school OOS. Your expectations may not be realistic when it comes to what the market will actually support, and at the end of the day, you do need to make a living. You didn't mention your age in your post, so I'm not sure at what stage of the game you're at, but you need to give yourself frame of reference in terms of what working in the veterinary profession is truly like before you dive in headfirst.

Last edited by a moderator:
this honestly disgusts me

Yeah...unfortunately I don't see any positive changes in those numbers in the future given our current president. Anything wildlife related really is a thankless job, which is why so many people burn out (whether you're a DVM or a licensed rehabber).

Definitely consider what the above posters mentioned!

You also want to make sure the facility/organization you're working for is reputable and the job turn-over isn't awful.

I did a 3 month internship and then a 6 month apprenticeships with one of the organizations hiring a wildlife vet on that site and...I don't want to say the job description is a lie but...I did a 6 month apprenticeship that was supposed to be 5 days/week at 40 hours. Psh. Try 6 days/week (sometimes 7) at ~80ish hours a week. For $250/month. We got in over 6500+ animals in the 6 months I was there.

A lot of rehab facilities are significantly understaffed and the veterinarian has to shoulder a lot of the weight.

If you seriously are considering doing that job, you need to get into your instate to ensure you will not go into excessive debt AND be frugal. Just because you're making 30k doesn't mean that you don't have to pay loans. You have to be able to handle stress and burn out. Oh and be extremely creative because a lot of the cases you come across aren't in the textbooks!

I can't give you any sort of information on what the difference is but if you would like salary information that is backed up by good data, the AVMA does a salary report every other year.

AVMA Report on Veterinary Compensation (2015 Edition): Biennial Economic Survey

That's the link. It'll cost ~$90 depending on the version you order. I purchased it a couple years ago when I first started getting interested in being a vet. They break down salary by region, specialization, years in practice, type of practice, ownership, etc etc etc. If you're truly interested in salary information I would look to that as it's information gathered from veterinarians and not just estimated from random salary websites.

So, I really want to be a vet and I know that I'm going to be working with dogs and cats, but I just found this and I would love to be a wildlife vet and all, I want to know if this will stop me from being able to work with cats and dogs?

Gyazo - 463a205180b0234825c26ef1633f0b15.png

Also, what's the difference between and industry vet and private practice vet
? All i see is tht industry vets make 250k and private ones make 95k

Gyazo - e63cb903efa01ce0b83d98c7ea62d988.png
Gyazo - 550fa5f024f5145a25df75ac634e3b99.png

How do I become a wildlife medicine vet? as seen here:
Gyazo - 8457fa70e84a31c7adba933f83f9367b.png
Several people responded to your other thread with some good nuggets about wildlife med: How do I become an all animal vet?

A couple of older threads---this topic is discussed regularly and you can find many more with the Search function:
Wildlife Vet?
About Wildlife Medicine

Long story short: 2-4 years of undergrad doing vet school pre-reqs (which can vary slightly depending on the school) + 4 years DVM +/- 1+ years of post-DVM internship +/- 3-4 years residency (especially if you're wanting to work somewhere AZA accredited or at large zoos)

Reaching these milestones is competitive to varying degrees. Most pre-vets who are seriously interested in wildlife, zoo, and exotics work very hard to gain experience and maintain contacts in those fields; in such a small sect of the profession, knowing people and getting your name out there is extremely important when it comes time to pursue any post-DVM training and search for jobs. The salaries for wildlife and zoo are also very low considering the amount of education and training needed, especially during internship and residency if you elect to go through with those.

Many, many students nowadays go through vet school wanting to work with zoo or wildlife species but few of them actually make that a reality. It's a very difficult field to break into.

If wildlife is your primary interest, I would start working on accruing experience in the field NOW. Not only do you need hours for vet school applications, but you need an accurate frame of reference for what the field is actually like before you dive into it headfirst. It sounds like you may have a romanticized idea of what working as a vet is like, so go out there and see if it is something you would even enjoy doing first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several people responded to your other thread with some good nuggets about wildlife med: How do I become an all animal vet?

A couple of older threads---this topic is discussed regularly and you can find many more with the Search function:
Wildlife Vet?
About Wildlife Medicine

Long story short: 2-4 years of undergrad doing vet school pre-reqs (which can vary slightly depending on the school) + 4 years DVM +/- 1+ years of post-DVM internship +/- 3-4 years residency (especially if you're wanting to work somewhere AZA accredited or at large zoos)

Reaching these milestones is competitive to varying degrees. Most pre-vets who are seriously interested in wildlife, zoo, and exotics work very hard to gain experience and maintain contacts in those fields; in such a small sect of the profession, knowing people and getting your name out there is extremely important when it comes time to pursue any post-DVM training and search for jobs. The salaries for wildlife and zoo are also very low considering the amount of education and training needed, especially during internship and residency if you elect to go through with those.

Many, many students nowadays go through vet school wanting to work with zoo or wildlife species but few of them actually make that a reality. It's a very difficult field to break into.

If wildlife is your primary interest, I would start working on accruing experience in the field NOW. Not only do you need hours for vet school applications, but you need an accurate frame of reference for what the field is actually like before you dive into it headfirst. Get out there and see if it is something you would even enjoy doing first.

In the picture it says industry wildlife medicine and it states that industry vets are making ALOT more than private practice vets

The wildlife rehabber I worked with pre-vet school also had a DVM and had just purchased her own clinic. She does small animal GP for her main source of profit but wildlife on her own time and dime as a side hobby sort of deal. She seemed like she was doing just fine financially, although she graduated her IS school (Kansas State) back in the 1990s so she didn't have the tremendous debtload a lot of today's veterinary students will,

I feel like unfortunately the only semi-reasonable way for most people to do wildlife medicine and be paid more than an absolute pittance is like this... working small animal or something more profitable at least part-time and then either working or volunteering with wildlife the rest of the time. There are exceptions, of course, but the majority of people I know who are hardcore wildlife medicine focused had to do it part-time getting paid very little or, worst case scenario, not at all.

I loved, loved, LOVED my time working with the DVM rehabber and I attained so many cool experiences helping to raise and assist with medical procedures on all sorts of different species (baby oppossums and raccoons <3), but I don't know that I could do it. Especially knowing the burnout rate of the wildlife field for both rehabbers and DVMs.

Zoo is a little bit better in terms of salary and overall satisfaction from what I've seen but, like what the other posters have already said, it's a cutthroat field and extremely competitive simply to even secure post-DVM training. A lot of people want to do zoo medicine, but there simply aren't enough spots for internship and residency, let alone actual jobs. Absolutely, some people make it... someone has to fill those positions, after all. But it's a long, tough road and those who are very serious about zoo medicine start getting experience and making connections early and they start HARD. It's as much (if not moreso) about who you know as it is what you know.

Anyway... it sounds like you don't know much about the profession in general and probably don't have any actual experience. I would highly recommend that you go out and get some hours shadowing with a veterinarian to see if you even enjoy it before you commit to this path. It's a lot of education and it's extremely expensive to earn a DVM in relation to current salary trends, especially if you have to pay for undergrad on top and/or go to vet school OOS. Your expectations may not be realistic when it comes to what the market will actually support, and at the end of the day, you do need to make a living. You didn't mention your age in your post, so I'm not sure at what stage of the game you're at, but you need to give yourself frame of reference in terms of what working in the veterinary profession is truly like before you dive in headfirst.

That first paragraph sounds like something I would absolutely love. I am only 12. I went to about 15 local vets around my area asking if I could volunteer or shadow and not a single one said yes... This summer I'm going to volunteer at the shelter.

That first paragraph sounds like something I would absolutely love. I am only 12. I went to about 15 local vets around my area asking if I could volunteer or shadow and not a single one said yes... This summer I'm going to volunteer at the shelter.
You are too young for people to take on the responsibility to let you shadow. Also, while it is great you are doing some research and getting some experience, you should concentrate on being a teenager and doing well in school. All this stuff is better left for later HS years and into undergrad. Learning good study habits is the best thing you can currently do for yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
So, I really want to be a vet and I know that I'm going to be working with dogs and cats, but I just found this and I would love to be a wildlife vet and all, I want to know if this will stop me from being able to work with cats and dogs?

Gyazo - 463a205180b0234825c26ef1633f0b15.png

Also, what's the difference between and industry vet and private practice vet
? All i see is tht industry vets make 250k and private ones make 95k

Gyazo - e63cb903efa01ce0b83d98c7ea62d988.png
Gyazo - 550fa5f024f5145a25df75ac634e3b99.png
industry vets are typically involved in biomedical or pharmaceutical research. Private practice vets are the vets you see at privately owned clinics that see your pets.

industry vets are typically involved in biomedical or pharmaceutical research. Private practice vets are the vets you see at privately owned clinics that see your pets.
OOOH dangit I would hate to do research

So I think I'll stop now with one last word:
I think I'll be a mixed/exotic animal vet, so pretty much all pets

I mean this in the nicest possible way... You're 12. Stop worrying about any of this. Go play video games or go for a run or ride a horse or play soccer or literally anything other than decide your future career. Seriously. You may change your mind 800 times between now and when you're actually applying to post-secondary education. And get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I mean this in the nicest possible way... You're 12. Stop worrying about any of this. Go play video games or go for a run or ride a horse or play soccer or literally anything other than decide your future career. Seriously. You may change your mind 800 times between now and when you're actually applying to post-secondary education. And get off my lawn.
send me a puppy to play with lol

"industry vets" are also vets who work for food, drug, and veterinary equipment companies - sometimes in research, but sometimes also in sales and tech support.

Let's remember, there isn't a vet that does all animals. Then that also be doing fish and reptiles and insects, etc

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah, but we're talking about real doctors here.

20170517_140755.jpg