How do I choose? Kirksville vs Touro-MI.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amnesiator

Pass gas in the sniffing position. Wait, what?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being an onlooker for months, I've finally made an account here at SDN. Ok, let me set this up: I grew up in LA, went to school at UC San Diego, graduated last spring, still live in SD where I work full time and am in a serious relationship. All my friends and family live in CA. That being said, here is my predicament:

I was accepted to both Touro-MI and Kirksville (after being accepted both places, I turned down other interview invites for financial and mental health reasons ;) ). Location aside, I love Kirksville... more-so than touro-mi. I think the facilities are superior and the technology is admirable (I <3 technology).

However, location is not a dismissable factor. Bay area, while distant from SoCal, is still driving-distance from home, and everyone I know. My sister is moving to SF and my two best friends go to school in NorCal.

My struggle is that I would choose Kirksville if location weren't important, but it is, so I don't know what to do. I would much appreciate any advice, especially from kirksville or touro-mi students. Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that I have been involved in the Osteopathic med school scene for a couple of years, I have learned something VERY valuable. Ask the school you are thinking about matriculating in what they do for you during your 3rd and 4th year rotations. There are many D.O. schools that will do nothing other than take your money. At KCOM you are assigned to a region that already has doctors set up for you to do your rotations with. Everything is setup for you. Can you imagine having to find a new doc to rotate with every stinking month? That would get old fast. Ask your school what they do (be prepared to not get a straight answer if they don't do a thing). Know that KCOM is one of the most respected schools for 3rd and 4th year rotations.

good luck.

1viking said:
Now that I have been involved in the Osteopathic med school scene for a couple of years, I have learned something VERY valuable. Ask the school you are thinking about matriculating in what they do for you during your 3rd and 4th year rotations. There are many D.O. schools that will do nothing other than take your money. At KCOM you are assigned to a region that already has doctors set up for you to do your rotations with. Everything is setup for you. Can you imagine having to find a new doc to rotate with every stinking month? That would get old fast. Ask your school what they do (be prepared to not get a straight answer if they don't do a thing). Know that KCOM is one of the most respected schools for 3rd and 4th year rotations.

good luck.

What viking said. Also, take the time to find out the specifics about a school's curriculum (there are significant differences) and how those specifics fit in with goals.

While I don't know much about Truro, KCOM is a great school...

Members don't see this ad :)
DOfoSho said:
After being an onlooker for months, I've finally made an account here at SDN. Ok, let me set this up: I grew up in LA, went to school at UC San Diego, graduated last spring, still live in SD where I work full time and am in a serious relationship. All my friends and family live in CA. That being said, here is my predicament:

I was accepted to both Touro-MI and Kirksville (after being accepted both places, I turned down other interview invites for financial and mental health reasons ;) ). Location aside, I love Kirksville... more-so than touro-mi. I think the facilities are superior and the technology is admirable (I <3 technology).

However, location is not a dismissable factor. Bay area, while distant from SoCal, is still driving-distance from home, and everyone I know. My sister is moving to SF and my two best friends go to school in NorCal.

My struggle is that I would choose Kirksville if location weren't important, but it is, so I don't know what to do. I would much appreciate any advice, especially from kirksville or touro-mi students. Much thanks!

I think you answered your own question. :thumbup:

DOfoSho said:

Hey there! I'm also a UCSD Alum (2004) and I'm currently a 2nd year at KCOM. My predicament during the app process was COMP vs KCOM. I really did fall in love with KCOM when I interviewed, and the strongest pull COMP had on me was location (10 mins from home) and therefore family.

Granted, KCOM/Kirksville is nothing like SD or LA, but I've made the most out of it and it helps to know that you can be elsewhere after 2 years -- hopefully somewhere that has a Target, Starbucks, and/or even a TGI Friday's! =) I like it here though, and the school makes it all worth it for me.

I can go on and on (and on!) about adjusting to school here and what it's like to go from where we come from. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns. Congrats on the acceptances and best wishes with the decisions and the rest of your career!

-N