How do I commit to pursuing med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michael-scott

Reaction score
I've wanted to since high school, but to get a stable job I majored engineering. Worked as an engineer since and keep thinking to go back. I have intense drive to enter medicine sometimes (sparked by a hospital visit, seeing someone truly in need) but that fades after some time and I'm left with a feeling of loss/unaccomplishment, while coasting through rest of life. I'm also now turning 28 this year and single so feeling old to take such a big risk to pursue medicine. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to get quite a few laughs here about 28 being "old." There are people who are 48 who still don't know what they want to do in life. It's normal to have uncertainty. Most people in med school don't even know why they're there. I think most do it for the money and prestige. The idea of "well I'm doing well with my life, helping people, and I can make good money and be socially accepted at the same time." That comment will generate varying amounts of pushback, but it's true. I had practically zero interest in pursuing hospital work by the time I graduated med school, so I moved to east Asia instead.

You might want to have your thread moved to the premed forum or the Nontraditional forum. Spend some time reading the WAMC threads and see what other premeds are doing to build their applications. Do you have any physician shadowing? How about clinical experiences with the sick, injured and dying. You might want to start searching for these opportunities. It might be difficult right now but as things open up you’ll be able to find places willing to let you do these activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to get quite a few laughs here about 28 being "old." There are people who are 48 who still don't know what they want to do in life. It's normal to have uncertainty. Most people in med school don't even know why they're there. I think most do it for the money and prestige. The idea of "well I'm doing well with my life, helping people, and I can make good money and be socially accepted at the same time." That comment will generate varying amounts of pushback, but it's true. I had practically zero interest in pursuing hospital work by the time I graduated med school, so I moved to east Asia instead.
What have you been up to in Asia? Just curious. Definitely relate to your comment.

It sounds like your life is getting stale or you’re having a quarter life crisis and you want to change it up by going into medicine. When you said you’re just coasting thru life and single, medicine won’t change that.

Sent you DM so as to not derail OP's thread.
Wondering the same! How're you doing, Phloston! I think about the times that we were in med school contemporaneously and talking about step exams, etc. Times have changed! Curious to know what you're doing and your life! Always a pleasure to see you on these threads

Sent you DM so as to not derail OP's thread.
Please derail OPs thread and tell u s why you went to Japan and what you're doing there. Are you a native speaker? How did you switch countries?

OP, second posting this thread in pre-med forums.

I've wanted to since high school, but to get a stable job I majored engineering. Worked as an engineer since and keep thinking to go back. I have intense drive to enter medicine sometimes (sparked by a hospital visit, seeing someone truly in need) but that fades after some time and I'm left with a feeling of loss/unaccomplishment, while coasting through rest of life. I'm also now turning 28 this year and single so feeling old to take such a big risk to pursue medicine. Any advice?
Best to inquire in the Non-trad forum.

Some of my all time best students have been in my 30s and 40s. Our oldest ever matriculated at age 53. S/he's in their early 70s now, and still in practice!

Read this too:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Best to inquire in the Non-trad forum.

Some of my all time best students have been in my 30s and 40s. Our oldest ever matriculated at age 53. S/he's in their early 70s now, and still in practice!

Read this too:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

incredible

any chance hospitals will require retirement after 80?

I would schedule an appointment with a therapist and investigate the causes behind your feelings of loss/regret. I say this because sometimes we mistakenly assign causation between two distantly related thoughts. Sometimes a love for animals can be expressed by working at an animal shelter or having a few pets, not necessarily by becoming a veterinarian. A passion for tennnis doesn't mean you have to pursue tennis professionally, you can have a pleasant experience playing it as a hobby and training for/playing at some regional tournaments.

Also shadow a doctor to see if that's what you want to do. Be careful because you have an engineering degree and career - you can already feed yourself and have a decent life. Find out if a change in career is something you really want / need.

Last edited:
  • Love
incredible

any chance hospitals will require retirement after 80?

I would schedule an appointment with a therapist and investigate the causes behind your feelings of loss/regret. I say this because sometimes we mistakenly assign causation between two distantly related thoughts. Sometimes a love for animals can be expressed by working at an animal shelter or having a few pets, not necessarily by becoming a veterinarian. A passion for tennnis doesn't mean you have to pursue tennis professionally, you can have a pleasant experience playing it as a hobby and training for/playing at some regional tournaments.

Also shadow a doctor to see if that's what you want to do. Be careful because you have an engineering degree and career - you can already feed yourself and have a decent life. Find out if a change in career is something you really want / need.
OP has the most uneventful, benign thoughts about his genuine uncertainties in life and you're telling him to see a therapist.

OP has the most uneventful, benign thoughts about his genuine uncertainties in life and you're telling him to see a therapist.
You don't need to have depression, anxiety, debilitating and/or malignant thoughts before you go to a therapist. You can have random things troubling you and consult a therapist about it anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Prophylactic therapy is very important for maintaining good mental health.

Reactions: 1 users