How do I decide where to do a Sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsa21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i was wondering how you guys decided where to do a sub-i. I know grades aren't the most important part of an application but to fill you in, i am a pretty mediocre student with 221 on step 1 and high passes on my rotations. i'm trying to figure out where i should do a sub-i. in terms of location, i would prefer major cities like los angeles, chicago, new york, and boston. the thing is i don't know which programs are highly competitive and which ones are within my reach. do i do a sub-i at a top school and hope i impress them, or do i do one at a school that is within my reach? all input would be appreciated as well as any specific programs.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i was wondering how you guys decided where to do a sub-i. do i do a sub-i at a top school and hope i impress them, or do i do one at a school that is within my reach? all input would be appreciated as well as any specific programs.
Do one at a place you might like to go for residency. If you go to a "top school" that you really don't have an interest in for residency, then it's kind of a waste in my opinion....unless the month there changes your mind of course.

Your scores aren't bad and you will probably make the cut off of most schools you apply to numbers wise. So I suggest you do one at the program you would want a shot matching at, regardless of how competitive it is.

Work Hard, be Honest, be Friendly.

I'd agree that your scores are fine. I'd also say that you should choose your Sub-I based on your goals for residency. Do you think you want to spend 4 years at a place that you perceive is currently out of your reach? Or do you have a certaintown in mind, or a certain program, and want to put all your eggs in that basket?

If there is that one program, or if there is a certain program that you want to get to know really well, go there. If there is a high-powered program you think you would be happy at but might not automatically give you an interview, try that.

As for perceived competitiveness, you can glance through these threads and likely get a feel for what we believe is the top of the rung. You should also hook up with an advisor at your school, however, and speak to them. They often have connections at certain places, and can help you by looking at your entire CV and guding you from there.