How do I do a background check for myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to do a background check on myself because I don't want any surprises. I have never been convicted or arrested for anything, but I understand that some states consider traffic violations a misdemeanor (speeding, HOV violation, etc...).

Anybody know where and how I can get a background check.

Also, I know we have to do background checks for medical school, if I do a background check for myself can I have the results sent to medical schools or would I need to get a separate report besides this.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by state. In my state for example, you look yourself up on a website, pay a $10 fee, and then you get to look at your criminal record. Check the state police/highway patrol website in your state.

Also, if you were convicted of a traffic-based misdemeanor, you'd know about it.

Medical schools only do their background checks once you are accepted (in my experience). You do one background check through AMCAS and then the company AMCAS uses sends the results to all your schools. You don't need to send your own results to med schools. In fact, doing that would probably get you rejected.

Last edited:
There are a variety of background checks, and a variety of websites that will do them for you. I found a reputable one online, plus I contacted a couple states directly to see what dirt they had on me.

If you go through the application process and a medical school wants your background check done, they will use Certiphi. Then you will get an email from Certiphi asking (1) if that's okay, and (2) for an additional fee would you like them to run it and inform you first, before you allow it to be sent to the schools.

The last time I looked, Certiphi does not run the background check for individuals who request it on their own. You have to piggyback your individual request upon an institution's request. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, can any of you recommend a site I can use?

I need a site that would show you everything Certiphi would show because I know some criminal background check websites don't show minor misdemeanors like speeding (if it is a misdemeanor in your state).

I don't want to be one of those students come August making threads saying, "I put NO on misdemeanors but they are saying I didn't disclose my misdemeanor for speeding."

I was in a similar situation and I wound up contacting the state directly to do a background check on me through their ".gov" website. They had no record of my misdemeanor (not really sure what happened to it), and later neither did Certiphi.