How do i explain to my parents my DAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC121912

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just took my DATs today and my parents are asking me if i did good. I dont know what to say cause I feel like I did fine for the time I spent on studying. I only got an 21/21 (everything across was 20 or 21 haha).But i feel like its not a good score (since I want to attend a California school). I am not applying this cycle but I will next cycle. So how should I go about telling them?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I just took my DATs today and my parents are asking me if i did good. I dont know what to say cause I feel like I did fine for the time I spent on studying. I only got an 21/21 (everything across was 20 or 21 haha).But i feel like its not a good score (since I want to attend a California school). I am not applying this cycle but I will next cycle. So how should I go about telling them?

Go on your knees, and tell your parents, " ma, and pa, my test scores are 20 and 21. For I am a human, and these scores don't reflect my love for you, I think I did pretty good."

"Please don't spank me."

Reactions: 4 users
Go on your knees, and tell your parents, " ma, and pa, my test scores are 20 and 21. For I am a human, and these scores don't reflect my love for you, I think I did pretty good."

"Please don't spank me."

LOL! Tbh they are clueless as i am with scores being good or not...its like 30 is good. I just hope its strong enough so that I won't have to retake

LOL! Tbh they are clueless as i am with scores being good or not...its like 30 is good. I just hope its strong enough so that I won't have to retake

20/21 is strong and if your GPA is greater than 3.2 you are probably considered an average applicant.

Retake only if you know you can do better.... It is kinda risky, if you retake, and do worse then some schools will just focus on the new scores !

I think a weak score is 17-19 for DAT averages, and with 3.0 GPA overall, these stats would be unfavorable, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a weak score is 17-19 for DAT averages, and with 3.0 GPA overall, these stats would be unfavorable, IMO.

Thanks for you input! I was really aiming for over the average haha, cause being average it feels like I'm just gripping on the cliff when Im at average!

The SDN average is probably around 21 (maybe higher). The national average is around 18-19.

With those (great) scores, I agree with @tooth knockn - only retake if you KNOW you can do better. I don't know of anyone who's done a retake with 20+, because I think at this point it's harder to improve (I think it's easier to improve from an 18 to a 21 compared to a 21 to a 24).

Anyway, you should take it easy. You did well, and most people would be happy to have scores like yours!

Reactions: 1 user
The national average is 17-18 and the average acceptance is 19-20 anything 23 and above is considered rare you did great! As long as your GPA is decent >3.2/3.3 you are a strong applicant (as in you are on an even playing field with other applicants). Apply broadly and you'll do great!

Tell them you did just slightly above the average for people being accepted into dental school.

And a 30 is not considered good. 30 is literally perfect, and I don't think I've seen anybody get that.

Tell them what you got, you already know it is not bad. Either way your parents should support you and value your effort despite of any #s shown on your paper.

Last edited:
Even though percentiles aren't given out anymore, you can tell them you scored in the top 10% according to the 2007 DAT score sheet. That's pretty impressive IMO out of 14,000 students.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh my god, thankyou for the feedback guys!!! I was so scared to take it haha, what made it worse was that I only had a small time frame to get me ready and to get the score I got, I am proud of myself! Thank you for everything guys!!! I wish everyone luck applying this cycle!