How do I find out which programs are more clinically-oriented rather than academic-oriented?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new MS3 who just received a 246 on Step1, at a mid-tier school. My school's ophtho department is not particularly strong, and I had to start my own clinical research project with the Chair in my MS1/MS2 summer because there weren't any. I was a little ambitious with the project and don't think I'll be able to finish before I graduate. The Chair keeps reassuring me that by pushing a project through the IRB all by myself is impressive enough, I can't help but think that the lack of production will hurt me big time.

My application is pretty ophtho focused in other parts too, as I worked as an ophtho tech before med school, which is how I realized I loved the field. I'm also working on a case report with the PD and possibly another one with hemeOnc (eye related). I have volunteering experience, interviewing experience, and interesting hobbies to talk about as well, if I get the interview.

Given my weak research background, how do I find which programs are more clinically oriented vs academically oriented? I understand the big names like Hopkins, Emory, MGH are obviously academic, but I'd like a little more to go on than name reputation. Should I just do research on each of the programs individually? I'm hoping to go to a mid/large city (Boston, NYC, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, etc), so I'm hoping there are some clinical programs I can sneak into.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ultimately you are going to apply to a very large number of programs so at this stage in the game it doesn't necessarily matter which programs are more academic vs clinically oriented. Generally, every program that you would expect to have an academic focus will but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent clinically as well.

On the other hand, there are many programs that don't have the biggest name that are in fact excellent clinically. These programs tend to be in cities/states without tons of other programs and near populations that are largely uninsured. Additionally, on the interview trail everyone will be focused on cataract numbers but realize it is just as important to consider exposure to all surgeries/procedures/subspecialties. Additionally many programs will post their fellowship match online and you can bet if the residents match well then they have been trained well.

With a 246, strong clinical grades, and at least some research along with strong letters you will definitely get some interviews. At that point you will have the opportunity to evaluate the quality of the program. For now focus on your grades and working on your research project(s).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a new MS3 who just received a 246 on Step1, at a mid-tier school. My school's ophtho department is not particularly strong, and I had to start my own clinical research project with the Chair in my MS1/MS2 summer because there weren't any. I was a little ambitious with the project and don't think I'll be able to finish before I graduate. The Chair keeps reassuring me that by pushing a project through the IRB all by myself is impressive enough, I can't help but think that the lack of production will hurt me big time.

My application is pretty ophtho focused in other parts too, as I worked as an ophtho tech before med school, which is how I realized I loved the field. I'm also working on a case report with the PD and possibly another one with hemeOnc (eye related). I have volunteering experience, interviewing experience, and interesting hobbies to talk about as well, if I get the interview.

Given my weak research background, how do I find which programs are more clinically oriented vs academically oriented? I understand the big names like Hopkins, Emory, MGH are obviously academic, but I'd like a little more to go on than name reputation. Should I just do research on each of the programs individually? I'm hoping to go to a mid/large city (Boston, NYC, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, etc), so I'm hoping there are some clinical programs I can sneak into.

You're a lot more competitive than you think you are. Other applicants have matched with less. You have a good reason to pursue ophthalmology and have good projects.

Almost all residences are academic in some way, where patient care and surgical skills are emphasized. However, some places devote more to clinical research and exposure to "big-wigs" while others focus more on taking care of a ton of patients. Best way to find out is to ask because the residency experience at many places can change significantly over a few years (thus previous information about programs may be out of date).

Focus more on the program selection at end of third year. Right now, keep doing the things you're doing and you'll do great.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just "Honor" as many clinical rotations as possible -- especially Surgery and Medicine. If you do that, you are basically guaranteed to match unless of course you come off as a complete a-hole during the interview. There is no "secret" formula to any of this. Also, remember that Ophtho is a very small field. So if you are tight with your Chairman, then that will pay off dividends (e.g. he can call one of his buddies at "so-and-so" program). Best of luck.

All programs are clinically oriented

Reactions: 1 user
Since my 246 is average and I come from a low/mid tier school, would you guys recommend that I take Step 2 early and try to nail it?

We are given a few weeks at the end of MS3 to study for Step 2, but I thought that it might eat away at my ophtho rotation times. I would take Step 2 at the end of May. Then I could do my home ophtho AI in June, an away in July/August, and maybe another away in August/September. Is this plan realistic?