How do I fix this problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryceg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My over all GPA is 2.5!

My sGPA is around a 2.1!!

I am about to graduate with a BS in Sociology...

I have not taken the MCAT yet due to the fact that the rest of my application would be weak...

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?! :( :( :( :(

(I am thinking about applying to another university to get a second degree and take things more seriously...)

Any advice (serious advice...no trolling) would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you considering DO schools?

yes I am. I have to just retake A LOT of classes to bring my grades up.

Members don't see this ad :)
My over all GPA is 2.5!

My sGPA is around a 2.1!!

I am about to graduate with a BS in Sociology...

I have not taken the MCAT yet due to the fact that the rest of my application would be weak...

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?! :( :( :( :(

(I am thinking about applying to another university to get a second degree and take things more seriously...)

Any advice (serious advice...no trolling) would be greatly appreciated! :)
Well...it seems like you have already identified your problem and already have a plan to fix it. Get A's, re-take anything a C or lower, and yes, actually take things seriously if you want a serious chance. A second degree isn't necessary but might be the best way to get the classes in. Not sure what advice you are looking for......

what should I get a second degree in? Biology? a hard science?

Doesn't matter. At this point, you need to get all As. Getting a 2.5 in sociology will only be overcome by As in classes. It doesn't matter if you major in bio, chem, psych, or art history, it doesn't even matter if you complete the second degree, the only thing that matters is you get As, especially on retakes, to fix your GPA. Don't start until you are actually ready and able to take things more seriously and get those As. Getting in some upper-level science classes (and getting As in them) will help, but what you decide to major in really doesn't matter. You just need to do well from now on. :luck:

would it be possible (if i took things seriously) to juggle a job, volunteering, and school work at the same time? cause right now I am just taking classes and I have a part time job that is pretty easy.

one of the reasons why my grades suck...and i know its my fault....but was from some bad relationships that I let get in the way of things...oh and I also am going to a senior military college...so a lot of my time is consumed by drama and military crap.

would it be possible (if i took things seriously) to juggle a job, volunteering, and school work at the same time? cause right now I am just taking classes and I have a part time job that is pretty easy.

one of the reasons why my grades suck...and i know its my fault....but was from some bad relationships that I let get in the way of things...oh and I also am going to a senior military college...so a lot of my time is consumed by drama and military crap.
There are people who do it, so yes, it is possible for some people. Since I have no clue about your abilities, I can't say whether or not it is a good idea for you to try, but if you have to work you have to work.

First priority for you is living, obviously, so if you have to have a job to survive, try to fine one that is as flexible and "easy" as possible while still paying enough to support you. Something that you could study while "on the clock" would be ideal, but isn't always possible. If you don't actually have to have a job, don't work. Get As and add in EC's, including clinical exposure and research, as those will help your chances more than a job will.

Second priority is grades. If you want a real chance at being a doctor, you can't underestimate how important getting an A in every single class you take from now on will be. The more credits you take, the harder it is to move your GPA up, so any class you earn less than an A in is a step away from medical school.

Volunteering and other EC's are the last priority. You would be better off not doing anything EC wise until you have taken all the classes you need to take and then start them than you would to try to do them while working and taking classes, and having your grades suffer. Don't even worry about them or your MCAT until you are done with getting all the As you need. DO schools will be your focus, as you can be competitive for them a lot sooner than you can for MD school, but you still have a lot of classes to take and get As in before you worry about the rest of your application.

Isn't the answer obvious? Take classes and get A's = rising gpa

Why is this still a serious discussion?

You already know the answer. Your gpa sucks. Go retake the classes and take additional upper level sciences to help out. You need to do extremely well or else you've wasted your time. Medicine might not be for you either... Have you honestly considered a career other than a physician

I don't think you can handle a job and school at the same time. I mean, look at your grades! You are not even close to a 3.0.

I will be harsh. Your chances of an MD school right now are almost zero. Your chances at a DO school are minimal. You need to completely change who you are and how you approach school. I don't think you can go for a masters with those grades, so grad school is out of the question. A new degree will still include your previous GPA when you apply. That means that even if you get a 4.0 and a whole degree with the same credit hours that is separate (no overlapping prereqs), you would average your first GPA with the second equally. That comes out to like a 3.1. You might not make it past the preliminary computer number crunch at that point. I am sure some of your classes will overlap and that you won't get solid As, so your GPA will likely not be the 3.1, but a little lower. You would be applying with about a 3.0. You would need an amazing MCAT score to be competitive at MD schools and you might get into DO schools.

OR

You could leave school for a few years and get a job. Work and then study your arse off for the MCAT. Make sure you have your prereqs done and kill the MCAT. You would be a nontraditional student and they might forgive your GPA if you do a post bach and get a 4.0. Anything significantly below a 4.0 would negatively affect your chances.

Retake classes, get as many A's as your can. Grade replacement is your friend.

If someone hasn't made an algorithm for SDN questions/answers yet, I will. :D

If you enjoy science, then sure. It's preferable since you'll be able to raise your cGPA and sGPA simultaneously.