How do I gain more time to study for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to take a year off after the second year and study for boards?
Many IMGs do this and score high and why not for US medical students?

Members don't see this ad.

Because you don't need it. Plenty of US medical students score high by studying only for about a month or less.. You can too. If you can't, maybe ROAD is not in your future.

why would a residency program take you if you needed a year to get the same score someone can achieve in a month?. If you need the time and are able to take it, go ahead.. But most residency programs would take someone with a 240 over someone who took a year off to get a 260. It leaves a big mark on your CV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have lost my mind if I had done nothing but study for Step 1 for an entire year.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a way to take a year off after the second year and study for boards?
Many IMGs do this and score high and why not for US medical students?
Do you actually think an IMG who does that and scores high is looked at the same vs. an AMG?

If you take a year off from medical school, it will be noted on your MSPE. So the next question will be why you took time off. Taking 1 year off to study for Step 1 is not a good reason to take time off, and will nowhere guarantee you a 260. Esp. when there are people who do it in the time allowed and get a 260 and move on to clerkships.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have lost my mind if I had done nothing but study for Step 1 for an entire year.

Exactly how I felt. I ended up with a decent score and had five weeks. By the end of that period I was just about to lose my mind....if I had a few more months my score might go up a few points but I'd probably be deranged by that point.

EDIT: just realized we're both fluffy

You don't need a year. You honestly don't really even need 5 weeks. If you look at most people's experience in the step 1 forum, you'll see their nbme scores tend to plateau after about 3 weeks. The other two are more about confidence than actually learning or memorizing new material.

The best prep is doing well in the first two years of classes. In a way, you already get 2 years for step 1 prep; an extra one seems unnecessary. Add on UWorld and fa or fc prn and you're set.

Why not make it two years off and score 270?

From all your posts, you're a first year, and yet you're obsessing over Qbanks and step 1 constantly.

Slow down.
WTF. Who can blame him, the library is his home.