How do I get an Army Pediatrics Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gladys T2DM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a second year medical student at a D.O school in the Army HPSP program. I am curious as to the best route to getting a pediatrics residency in the Army. Which hospital in the Army has the best pediatrics program? Which of the Army residencies in pediatrics will prepare me the best for getting a pediatric fellowship in ped cards or neonatology? Are Army doctors considered competitive against civilan docs when it comes to getting a civilian fellowship? Will I have to do a deployment before I can be considered eligible for a civilian fellowship? How does the point system work for getting a fellowship?

Thanks for you for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Lets try and get a few answers.

Pediatrics is only done at four places In the Army.
SAUSHEC - Brooke, Fort Sam Houston, Willford, lackland, TX/Univ, Sanantonio,Tx
MAMC- Madigan, Tacoma, WA
TAMC - Tripler, in Tripler AMC, Hi
NCC- Washington DC area, Walter Reed, Dewitt, Fort Belvior, Bethesda, Andrews, and others

Since you are a second year you will have to do one ADT rotation 3rd and fourth year. Madigan tends to be the most sought Peds residency, from my own research. All of the four tend to be good places but acuity is Higher at MAMC and SAUSHEC from what I've read here and heard from USUHS guys. The NCC can be good but some places have terrible acuity.

You will be signing up for your ADT rotations through the MODS website when the time comes. Just talk with your school and let them know that you are doing such and such rotation at whichever Army medical center and they should be accommodating. Don't forget the Military match is earlier than the civilian so make sure you get any audition type rotations in May-August time. Match results come out in December for the Army so that makes the match lists being submitted October or November (get someone else to clear that up for you).

Now your fellowships:

The Army doesn't have a Peds Cardiology fellowship. You would have to get a civilian deferment for that. Civilian deferments are given on an as needed basis, but it never hurts to try!

Peds Neonatology has fellowship spots at SAUSHEC, MAMC, NCC plus a possible civilian deferment. So essentially for you I would not be looking into TAMC as a residency site because if you want to try and go right into a fellowship in Neonatology the other three sites have residencies there so they would then be more likely to give a fellowship spot to a good resident thats finishing up than someone else.

The points system I do not belief is used for fellowships. (I could be wrong about this though). Fellowships I do know are hit or miss every year. Sometimes they are competitive (so Id imagine some system is used to rank applicants) and other years don't see any applications for some fellowships.

Its down right now but hopefully will be back up but the Residency sights and fellowship sites can be found in your mods account under the lab all the way to the right called Training Locations. You can also click on each program and get contact information to the program directors or a contact of the program.

Hope this helps!

Almost forgot!

Under General Information in your MODS account there is a link to A Guide to Military Pediatric Residencies.

Thanks so much for your advice and your help. It has given me some good insights. Thanks again.