How do I get licensed in another state...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkPharmacist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before, I did a search and couldn't really find any solid info.

I'm a pharmacist in the state of NY and have been for years. I moved to NJ unofficially (spend like 6/7 days here) with my girlfriend a few months ago and want to move in with her for real in the next few months. I currently commute to NY daily for work.

My question is, how exactly do I go about getting a NJ pharmacy license. I have a few major questions on my mind that I would really really appreciate if someone could answer for me, as I get rivaling information from different sites:

1. Do I have to give up my NYS pharmacy license if I want to practice in NJ and get a NJ license? Some sites make it seem like this....

2. What exactly do I have to do? I'm 99% sure that I have to register and take the NJ MPJE, but I dont know if I am required to do this at all or if I have to retake the Naplex?

3. How long does the process take?

4. For those who have done what I did, any advice or tips to streamline the process and or eliminate unnecessary fees?

5. How exactly do I study for the NJ MPJE? I looked online, on amazon and even in barnes and noble the past few weeks and I can't find ANY book or studying material for this exam. For the NY MPJE, Dr. Cutie out of LIU sold this packet to everyone for a small fee and that was what pretty much everyone in the 5 boroughs used every year to pass the exam.

Thank you, I would really appreciate it if you could help a GOOD BROTHER/Nerd out!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before, I did a search and couldn't really find any solid info.

I'm a pharmacist in the state of NY and have been for years. I moved to NJ unofficially (spend like 6/7 days here) with my girlfriend a few months ago and want to move in with her for real in the next few months. I currently commute to NY daily for work.

My question is, how exactly do I go about getting a NJ pharmacy license. I have a few major questions on my mind that I would really really appreciate if someone could answer for me, as I get rivaling information from different sites:

1. Do I have to give up my NYS pharmacy license if I want to practice in NJ and get a NJ license? Some sites make it seem like this....

2. What exactly do I have to do? I'm 99% sure that I have to register and take the NJ MPJE, but I dont know if I am required to do this at all or if I have to retake the Naplex?

3. How long does the process take?

4. For those who have done what I did, any advice or tips to streamline the process and or eliminate unnecessary fees?

5. How exactly do I study for the NJ MPJE? I looked online, on amazon and even in barnes and noble the past few weeks and I can't find ANY book or studying material for this exam. For the NY MPJE, Dr. Cutie out of LIU sold this packet to everyone for a small fee and that was what pretty much everyone in the 5 boroughs used every year to pass the exam.

Thank you, I would really appreciate it if you could help a GOOD BROTHER/Nerd out!

1. No, but you will be required to renew each and pay all renewal fees/requirements if you choose to keep them both in active status.

2. Find the NJ Board of pharmacy website and look for apply for licensure. Usually this is categorized into something along the lines of 'reciprocity' or 'endorsement'. This will tell you what the requirements are. Most likely you will only have to take the MPJE, but you will have to complete your application first, then register to take the MPJE on the NABP website, and receive an "authorization to test" from the NJ board of pharmacy to take the test.

3. It depends, though I would expect a few months would be average.

4. Start studying the NJ pharmacy rules and laws early.

5. The pharmacy state laws and/or rules are usually posted online. For the Federal portion, the DEA website is a good resource, along with Reiss's Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law.

Good luck.

Never give up your original license....states will only reciprocate from your original state of license. So if you give up your NYS license, then you won't ever be able to use your NJ license for reciprocity if you decide to go to another state.

Every state will make you take their licensing exam. You don't have to retake the Naplex if you are reciprocating your license from another state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never give up your original license....states will only reciprocate from your original state of license. So if you give up your NYS license, then you won't ever be able to use your NJ license for reciprocity if you decide to go to another state.

Every state will make you take their licensing exam. You don't have to retake the Naplex if you are reciprocating your license from another state.

Not all states require original state license. Most will reciprocate from an active state license (doesn't need to be your first)

Reactions: 1 user
FYI: NJ board is a little slow the whole process might take around 1 - 3 months! That is from getting your ATT, sending in all the documents and then finally getting a license number

4. For those who have done what I did said:
4. You can't get away from the fees, everyone wants a piece of the pie. The state, NABP, etc, etc, it feels like a scam

5. You get a copy of the pharmacy laws on the website or have them sent(that might require another fee). Then you set aside a couple days to read through the laws. Having already taken an MPJE exam will have prepared you 4 what 2 look for. As you read, ask yourself, if I were preparing questions for the exam, what would I ask. Underline things like, these stay on file 7 years, this 2, this happens after 72 hours, etc. know what technicians and interns can and can't do, things about scripts from nursing homes. And then, there are several sections that you can clearly see that it would be doubtful or highly unlikely that it would be even possible to ask a question from.

Good luck...