How do I get motivated to re-prepare for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

With potential possibility of not getting in at my state schools this year, I am consindering re-taking MCAT in April 06. Its hard to get motivated though because I might not get a decision from my state schools until February/March.

Please UNC and/or ECU - accept me!!!

Any advice? I wanna start spending an hour or so everyday on MCAT related stuff. I need to focus on bio section this time. My score was 27O (10P, 8B, 9V). English is not my first lang..but I think I did okay in Verbal.

Take care all.
S.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, dont worry. i got a 27 also.. i'm asian just like u, and i am not URM. my interviews have started POURING in.

and im an august mcater.

dont worry, and dont think abut the april mcat yet.... just have faith and believe in yourself.

theunderdog said:
hey, dont worry. i got a 27 also.. i'm asian just like u, and i am not URM. my interviews have started POURING in.

and im an august mcater.

dont worry, and dont think abut the april mcat yet.... just have faith and believe in yourself.

this must not be the REAL underdog, who recently posted about being in the depths of despair, but his friend using his account who bragged that he was doing better in the interview cycle than others with 34-plus mcats...

as for the OP, i feel you. i have a 30 mcat and still feel like i'm going to be retaking in april. :(

I'd give it until the end of the year. Maybe by then you will have heard from ECU or UNC, and won't have to put yourself through the MCAT again.

There is a Yahoo! group for retakers that was started after August MCAT scores came out last month, so maybe you should check it out. Studying with others is much better than by yourself, even if it is online!

Good luck, Shahab! :luck: You'll be posting in the acceptances thread in no time! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
shahab said:
Hi all:

With potential possibility of not getting in at my state schools this year, I am consindering re-taking MCAT in April 06. Its hard to get motivated though because I might not get a decision from my state schools until February/March.

Please UNC and/or ECU - accept me!!!

Any advice? I wanna start spending an hour or so everyday on MCAT related stuff. I need to focus on bio section this time. My score was 27O (10P, 8B, 9V). English is not my first lang..but I think I did okay in Verbal.

Take care all.
S.

Have you tried an MCAT course like Kaplan or Princeton? If not you might want to consider it. They are expensive, but they have helped many students.

i think the princeton review throws too too much stuff at you in an attempt to give you your money's worth and you end up reading a lot and learning nothing. Plus they're NASTY and try to bilk you out of even more money. I've made it my mission, as I told them when they charged me $400 for a mistake they made in scheduling me, to tell everyone to avoid avoid them! Go to kaplan if you must :)

I took a full course load of classes and it only took me 3 months to prepare for the mcat. if you start know, chances are you'll forget the stuff by april. i think the strategy is to cram non-stop for 3 months or so and do nothing but mcat. i would spend no less than 3hrs a night some days as much as 12hrs preparing for that sob, but i was confident when april came around (well, not really confident- i am just saying that cuz its all over).

good luck!

BerkeleyMD said:
I took a full course load of classes and it only took me 3 months to prepare for the mcat. if you start know, chances are you'll forget the stuff by april. i think the strategy is to cram non-stop for 3 months or so and do nothing but mcat. i would spend no less than 3hrs a night some days as much as 12hrs preparing for that sob, but i was confident when april came around (well, not really confident- i am just saying that cuz its all over).

good luck!

I also used all the books from Kaplan, Princeton Review, and ExamKrackers.. buy the books and screw the classes!

The second time I took the MCAT I was working in an orthopaedic surgeons office 40 hours a week and a 2nd job 15 hours a week. I was waiting to hear from my state school (UMass) also. I loved my job working at the ortho office and knew that it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That was enough motivation for me. BTW 29 first time, 34 2nd time. Used EK books and audio osmosis, AAMC exams, and video lectures from MCAT-prep.com. So, I didnt get in last year, but now i've already been accepted to one of my TOP choices this year, Univ of Pittsburgh. Good luck, buckle down and you can do it...

Jim

Thanks all for your input. Beginning December, I am planning to start preparing for MCAT. If I get in this year, that would be awesome. With a full-time job which is gonna require much more than 40hrs/week next few months, and family life, its hard to devote more 2-3 hours per day for MCAT. So, I gotta start early.

Best wishes to all.
S.

FictionalGirl said:
i think the princeton review throws too too much stuff at you in an attempt to give you your money's worth and you end up reading a lot and learning nothing. Plus they're NASTY and try to bilk you out of even more money. I've made it my mission, as I told them when they charged me $400 for a mistake they made in scheduling me, to tell everyone to avoid avoid them! Go to kaplan if you must :)

I did Kaplan & they are just as bad, believe me.