how do I go to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman8r

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kind of want to be a doctor, but dunno if I can afford it....

how long does it take, like a year or two? also, do you have to go to college first, or can I just apply right out of high school

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been doing this for a 1000+ posts?

USCTex said:
Have you been doing this for a 1000+ posts?

everyone just laughs at me, and never answers my legitimate question

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from a friend that I have to take like, this SAT but for medical school - I told him he was a liar, but maybe its true

I heard you have to be pretty smart.

I don't know though. There are some dimb doctors.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I heard you have to be pretty smart.

I don't know though. There are some dimb doctors.

once I took this IQ test on the internet, I scored ok. Do you think maybe this would help me get into medical school, like if I printed out the results?

Newman8r said:
everyone just laughs at me, and never answers my legitimate question

I can't laugh I got a giant hat as my avatar...on the other hand do have a turkey...*mmm...turkey*

what's the quickest I could finish medical school though? I'm willing to go to classes like 4 days a week, could I finish in a year or 2?

Newman8r said:
what's the quickest I could finish medical school though? I'm willing to go to classes like 4 days a week, could I finish in a year or 2?

if you go for three days a week,fifty hours a day,that should do it.

plazaday said:
if you go for three days a week,fifty hours a day,that should do it.

I might try that

Newman8r said:

I heard if you go to those DO schools or whatever in like kentucky and tennessee (all the red neck states), you only have to go to class once a week.

I'll take you seriously, although I probably shouldn't because I know you have got to be kidding me. But at least you can't say no one answered your questions anymore.

To get into medical school you usually need a high school diploma or something equivalent, like the GED. I've heard of some people with neither who became doctors; I don’t know how that works though.

Then you apply to a university or college and take 3-4 years of that. Mainly what you need are the prerequisites for med school, which are usually...

1 year of Physics
1 year of Calculus
1 year of Chemistry
1 year of English

Some schools only require basic math skills, so you're not completely out of luck if you're a math ***** like me.

Usually schools prefer a bachelor’s degree, with no specific major. That means you can major in any of the sciences, music, humanities, whatever floats your boat, as long as you have the required courses down, that is.

By about this time you should be throwing in some extracurricular activities like shadowing your doctor, volunteering at the hospital, and et cetera. These will help you, so don’t be lazy.

In your junior year of college you should start thinking about taking the MCAT. This is just as important as you GPA so learn what you can really well, because you’ll need it. Some say it the most important test you’ll ever take.

Then you apply to medical school. If you score very well on the MCAT, and have a great GPA, you’ll probably get in. If you get in, that is one hell of an accomplishment itself. Remember any school is better than none, except the Caribbean and Osteopathic schools. Bwahahahahaha…just kidding!

As you can see, it takes many years and a lot of hard work, but if you like medicine, it’ll be worth it, unless it won’t, like some angry docs say these days. Hmm…

I think all of that information is pretty correct, but then again, I'm not a pro at this stuff so the best thing to do would be to do some research.

By the way, I apologize for killing the intrinsic humor of this thread. I'll shut up now...

...ahem...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Members don't see this ad :)
every1blowz said:
By the way, I apologize for killing the intrinsic humor of this thread. I'll shut up now...

...ahem...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

to mock me, because I'm an idiot and couldn't even break 40 on the mcat

I'm in a pretty isolated area, but I have family issues which mean I can't move. Is there like a correspondence course I can take which is like medical school? Of course, I understand that this is silly for the clinical part, but what about for the first two years? Can I do that?

kinetic said:
I'm in a pretty isolated area, but I have family issues which mean I can't move. Is there like a correspondence course I can take which is like medical school? Of course, I understand that this is silly for the clinical part, but what about for the first two years? Can I do that?

Both Pitt and Penn State have something where you can take the first two years as "distance learning" on-line.

Something about PA's laws or something.

kinetic said:

OMG, this would be SOOOO convenient for me too.... I think I heard a commercial for that on tv recently

Newman8r said:

how long does it take, like a year or two? also, do you have to go to college first, or can I just apply right out of high school

WHAT??? Are you a goddamn IDIOT. Of COURSE you have to go to college. :rolleyes: You Fool

phoenixsupra said:
WHAT??? Are you a goddamn IDIOT. Of COURSE you have to go to college. :rolleyes: You Fool

wait would I still have to go to college if I decided to take a correspondence course for med school? Also, I took AP classes in high school, so basically it shows that I can handle the work, so college wouldnt be too important

Newman8r said:
wait would I still have to go to college if I decided to take a correspondence course for med school? Also, I took AP classes in high school, so basically it shows that I can handle the work, so college wouldnt be too important

You're like a total idiot :rolleyes:

phoenixsupra said:
You're like a total idiot :rolleyes:

we'll see what you have to say when I have my MD/PhD in neuroscience after I finish my online medical school

Did this happen to anyone else? The Dean of one of the medical schools (I won't say which one) said that they were having trouble sending me my diploma via e-mail. That's why I have to go through all this again. :confused:

kinetic said:
Did this happen to anyone else? The Dean of one of the medical schools (I won't say which one) said that they were having trouble sending me my diploma via e-mail. That's why I have to go through all this again. :confused:

well you have to make sure your computer is equipped with that fancy "diploma" font, otherwise it won't display properly

I think you also have to set your printer to "diploma"

God, you are in idiot aren't you.

I can't find that setting. Where is it? I'm so frustrated! :mad:

is a medical college better than a medical school? It seems like you'd only get an associate's degree at a medical school but at a medical college you'd get a BS or even PhD in medicine. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

You can get a BS from a medical college, but only medical universities hand out PhDs in medicine.

Newman8r said:

Sorry, but with a post like this, it's not going to happen. Have you considered a job with the department of sanitation?

I saw this Sally Struthers chick on TV, something about ITT technical institute. I can be a pharmacy technician, vet assistant, daycare worker, doctor, or bookkeeper. I can also major in business management or accounting.
Sounds cake. Sign me up. Regular med school takes too damn long.

Status
Not open for further replies.