How do I handle this question on interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWPoods

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to mostly clinical programs and only a couple school programs where there was a great research match. I am worried that the school programs will ask me what other schools/professors I applied to on my interview. Right now, I have ranked one school program very high on my list of programs I'd want to attend. I don't want to turn them off by answering that most of the schools I applied to were clinical programs.

I am interested in an academic/research career and I applied to professors that were good matches for my interests - whether it was a school or clinical program.

So I am not sure how to handle this. I don't want the school program to think that I am not that interested in what they do or that I applied to it as a back up because it's not true.

I could use some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to mostly clinical programs and only a couple school programs where there was a great research match. I am worried that the school programs will ask me what other schools/professors I applied to on my interview. Right now, I have ranked one school program very high on my list of programs I'd want to attend. I don't want to turn them off by answering that most of the schools I applied to were clinical programs.

I am interested in an academic/research career and I applied to professors that were good matches for my interests - whether it was a school or clinical program.

So I am not sure how to handle this. I don't want the school program to think that I am not that interested in what they do or that I applied to it as a back up because it's not true.

I could use some advice.

If you are asked, I suggest you name some of the other places places you applied, but not all of them. I think the best rule is to name places that are similar to the one you are interviewing at. They will never know for sure where you are applying.

If is a good idea to have some nice answers to why you applied to the place you are interviewing at. It compliments the place, and it shows you have a higher level of interest than some of the other applicants.

Medical school is about training for clinical medicine. People who are interested in research do most of their career development / training outside of medical school and residency. It is ok to say this for any program, including MD/PhD.

I could use some advice.

This is the point that I would emphasize, whether interviewing with a school or a clinical program. Not all school psychology programs expect that the students who graduate from their programs will want to work exclusively in the schools, especially at the Ph.D. level. So if your research interests and/or experiences are a good match, it will not necessarily be a turn-off to the school program that you've also applied to clinical programs. I was in a similar situation when applying; feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the above advice is good. While I did get this question, I didn't get it that often, so dont stress too much. The two profs that did ask me this question were the ones most interested in recruiting me and it was more of a "who is my competition?" type question. At that point, my answer wasn't going to make or break it for me.

Good luck,
Dr. E

The answer I would more than likely give is one like this:

You'll notice I applied to a wide range of programs to include both clinically oriented programs and some very desirable school psychology programs. For instance U of XYZ, although not as appealing to me, is a clinically oriented program that would satisfy me on a personal level while still affording me opportunities for professional growth. The reduced focus on school psychology is less than ideal, but the location, clinical opportunities, proximity to GF/Family, etc made it a very good fit for me. I don't want to diminish how important school psychology is to me based on the fact that I considered schools with a clinical focus. I believe that I could make a significant contribution as a school psychologist but the reality is that only a very small proportion of the many students who applied here will be even offered a position in your program.

It's not so much what you answer, but how you answer, show you can think on your feet. Don't rush to answer, think it through, ponder a moment before articulating your answer, and just be as honest as you can within reason.

Mark

It's not so much what you answer, but how you answer, show you can think on your feet. Don't rush to answer, think it through, ponder a moment before articulating your answer, and just be as honest as you can within reason.

Mark

Multiple faculty at my program have emphasized the point I bolded above as their 'criteria' for basically all interview answers. I think most applicants are focusing a lot more on the 'what'.

Yeah agreed it is how you answer - and I suggest that you be thoughtful and honest, as others have advised.

Some others have noted that this question didn't come up, but it did for me more often than not. I also had a mentor that asked this of every person. So definitely be prepared for it.

This was wonderful advice from everybody. I hoped for answers like these. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.