PhD/PsyD How do I improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tesalyn

Reaction score
Hi. I want to apply to PhD programs in psychology. My main interest area is social/personality psychology. I have an undergrad degree in a social science (but not in psychology) and I took several psychology classes as an undergrad. I am currently completing a second masters degree (both in subjects related to technology). My gpa is good, and while I haven't taken the GRE yet, I am studying for it and I typically do very well on standardized tests.

I am trying to figure out a couple of things. First is how I can best work to increase my odds of getting into PhD programs in this competitive field. I have already started the process of looking for a psychology lab I can volunteer in. I am unsure, however, whether it would be best for me to pursue a second bachelor's degree, pursue a master's degree, or just take post-bac classes in psychology. I am not able to move until I start my PhD program, so that limits my choices to what is available near me and online. I'm not sure how online programs are viewed if they are from schools like Arizona State University? There is only one university near me that offers a terminal master's degree in psychology with a research focus. It's not a bad school, but not the best either and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive from where I am, which I can work with, but only if that's my best option. I can get a second bachelor's from another university that is a better school. My undergraduate degree is from a top 50 ranked university, but they don't offer terminal master's degrees in psychology or allow for a second bachelors or post-bac courses in psychology.

I also am wondering what a realistic timeframe might be for which cycle I should apply for? I'd love to start in 2019, but I am worried I will be a weak applicant for that cycle. I am also worried that my rather varied career and educational history will be to my detriment.

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry. I think I may have posted this in the wrong place. My apologies.