Medical How do I list multiple experiences of the same type in application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a couple paid and volunteering tutoring jobs. I was wondering instead of having multiple entries, should I make two entries:
Experience Type: Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
Experience Name: Volunteer or Paid
One volunteer tutoring was at a high school while the other was at UG. I want to list some sort of teaching as most meaningful and I was going to list the volunteering instead of the paid. Would that be okay listing an experience as most meaningful then splitting the entry with something else of the same type?

What could I do for research that I once took course credit for but was my job after graduation? I'm thinking of just keeping it as "Research/Lab" and not "Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical" experience type but still mention that I did this as a job after UG.

Lastly, would it be wise to combine nonclinical volunteering <50 hrs to make room for paid nonclinical employment that doesn't explicitly have to do with medicine but displays my ability to balance multiple activities and learn the value of honest day's hard work?

Thank You!
Depending on the number of hours for each thing, and how similar/different they are, I'd considering grouping some things together.

Meaning tutoring both both HS and UG, I'd personally group those together and make two separate statements.

Research with course credit I'd leave that be as it was a course, and make a section for the employment part of it.

Depending on how low the hours are for the volunteering, if you need room, I'd leave it out. <50 depending on the number is quite low and insignificant, and also doesnt necessarily demonstrate longitudinal volunteering. I would not combine them per say because one is paid and one is not.

I might have misunderstood what you were asking for one of the things, so let me know if something doesnt make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response!

Okay, I will group tutoring and volunteer and paid.

If I'm tight on space, would you still recommend separating essentially the same research position (course credit to being paid) into two categories? It seems kinda fluffy to me and adcoms would likely have to read two entries describing basically the same project. This could be most meaningful so I can elaborate a good amount if I list it as just one activity. The activity itself included volunteer time, course credit time, and paid time so it isn't really something I took a course for but rather course credit was offered after volunteering and learning the basics the summer before, if that makes sense.

Good point about longitudinal. The <50 hours is actually 3+ years long so I am on the fence about removing it or not. I do think it fits my narrative though.

Research with course credit I'd leave that be as it was a course, and make a section for the employment part of it.

I would not list the one related to the course. I quoted my statement here. Leave it be, without listing it. Your earned credit speaks for it. ONLY do ONE for employment.

Good point about longitudinal. The <50 hours is actually 3+ years long so I am on the fence about removing it or not. I do think it fits my narrative though.

<50 hours over 3 years? That is a really small amount, and doesnt speak for anything longitudinal to me. If you did something consistently for 3 years, I'd expect to see a little more than [less than] 50 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.